Strange electrical problems (dash lights flickering, speedometer cutting out)

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
ericmerl
Car: 2007 Altima 2.5SL
2014 Ford Flex Limited Ecoboost

Hey everyone, I've got a 2007 Altima that is having what seems to be some strange electrical issues. Here's the story:

Car has almost 200k miles and hasn't given us any issues to speak of. We get in it one day while we are out shopping, and after starting up several things happen all at once: several dash indicator lights come on, the windshield wipers won't turn on, and the headlights won't turn on. I try to shut the car off and restart it, and the car is stuck in the ON position (won't turn off). These symptoms come and go for a few minutes, and I'm able to shut the car off while it's acting normal. I start it up again and the car is able to run fine, so we drive to a nearby restaurant and end up getting stranded there--the car will switch to the ON position, but will not turn over and will not switch back off.

I take the car to a local Nissan dealer. They diagnosed it as having a bad ECU, battery fuse link, and IPDM. After replacing those parts, the car seems to run fine and I take it home.

On the drive home, the car runs fine.. but has some of the same symptoms pop up again--dash indicator lights coming on/off, cruise control cuts out, and speedometer drops to 0. These things are intermittent, as shown in the video below.

The car seems to run and drive just fine while these issues are coming and going. I did take it back to the dealership, and they ran another diagnostic on it and weren't able to find any issues or codes.

Anyone have any ideas about what could cause this behavior?

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”