Strange combination of things... (alternator, power steering)

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
papilgeephd
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

Hey y'all,

So more often than not when I start my car (07 M35x, 155k), the battery and brake lights stay illuminated together for about 20-30 seconds, then they turn off. If those lights didn't indicate that my alternator was going out, the accompanying bearing noise (maybe 5 seconds) definitely does.

I'm going to replace the alternator, but here's my question.
At almost the same time, whenever I drive the car these days, I hear a more pronounced noise from the power steering pump whenever I turn the wheel to full lock. I'll check my fluid again when I get home just to make sure, but I guess my question is: could the alternator produce a drag on the belt and then cause the power steering to misbehave? Or are they just completely separate matters?

Last quick question. Any recommendation for/against a particular alternator brand?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

No, I think you just have a coincidence. Has the rack ever been replaced? Keep an eye on the fluid and see if you have to keep topping it up. My guess is you have a leak and it's time to replace the rack (I just had to replace my 2011 rack at 135kmi).

Not sure on best brand of alternator but I'd say anything at the parts store that is OE quality should be fine.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It could be the overrunning clutch on your alternator is failing and not the alternator itself, and that can put extra load on the belt until the clutch catches up with itself. Between that and a max pressure load from being cut to the lock, you certainly might get some noises.

papilgeephd

Ilya wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:30 pm
No, I think you just have a coincidence. Has the rack ever been replaced? Keep an eye on the fluid and see if you have to keep topping it up. My guess is you have a leak and it's time to replace the rack (I just had to replace my 2011 rack at 135kmi).

Not sure on best brand of alternator but I'd say anything at the parts store that is OE quality should be fine.
Never replaced the rack, no. The last time I had to add any fluid was about 4 years ago when I bought the car.

papilgeephd

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:02 pm
It could be the overrunning clutch on your alternator is failing and not the alternator itself, and that can put extra load on the belt until the clutch catches up with itself. Between that and a max pressure load from being cut to the lock, you certainly might get some noises.
So, if this is the case, would it be worth my time and money to replace just the clutch?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They sell them for your M but they're half the price of the alternator, and you'll need to verify that it's the clutch acting up and not a sticky brush or failing regulator. Probably not worth it IMO.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”