Strange clear grease on front A arm dripping on driveway.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
O5Q45
Car: 2005 Q45 Base sedan

Hey guys I have a strange liquidy type grease that is clear in color on my driveway in relatively small amounts. After looking under the car, it's coming off the driver side A arm front fitting. It looks to be dripping off the a arm fitting (the front bolt motor side) and onto the black underpan and then off the side of the underpan. It has no smell, and no color, but is greasy. Do any of the bushings, or rubber dampeners in the joints where the a arm connects to the frame have clear grease in them? I've done the last 2 oil changes and just replaced the camshaft position sensor so I don't think it could be any mechanic squirting grease into the joint. But where would this come from? Also, if it is grease from a burst seal or anything wouldn't it be black from use? This stuff is clear as clear can be. Any ideas guys? Don't want my wife out and the wheel come off or anything dangerous...

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Bushing grease is like that, a little tacky, but pretty clear, kinda like Vaseline! I don't think stuff like that would be engine or drive-train related. Not likely for wheels or bearings either. Just bushings. Maybe shock gas fluid stuff, I don't know and have no idea what that stuff is like either. I'm completely guessing after bushings get eliminated from the potential causes. Is it hot where you're at this summer? Like desert hot? I think it would have to be for bushing type grease to liquefy and drip as you describe.

centralcoaster33

Oh shoot, just realized, hydraulic brake fluid is like that, duh! And brake fluid is used for clutch fluid as well. So, you probably have ABS and stuff, maybe clutch but likely automatic. Look up from the drips for some brake system (or clutch) components. Also check the fluid level.

EdBwoy

To add to centralcoaster's posts:

I'm thinking none of the control arm bushings would be fluid filled. The ball-joint (farthest from the motor) would have some grease, but unless the boot tears, you shouldn't see that. Plus it's nowhere near the under-engine tray.

Still on boots, check the steering rack. The boot that covers the socket connection of the inner tie rod to the rack usually has some sort of lubricant.

Then, check the hydraulic fluids. As mentioned, there's brake fluid, which you'll see from the reservoir most likely. Also, I believe your front struts are fluid dampened for the adjustable suspension. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the plumbing & layout for that system, or what seal would be most likely to leak.

The similar-generation m45 motor mount is just solid rubber, but I believe one of the Japanese platform siblings have fluid-filled motor mounts. My quick ebay searching shows most q45 insulators are solid rubber as well, but since you have the premium version, it's worth checking if that's leaking.
*If it has a wire leading to it, it's fluid-filled.

Like you, I believe most friction applications would result in dark fluid if it leaks, but those are the clear-grease/lube suspects I have for now.

Then I've also seen this one. If you don't seat your dipstick properly after checking it, oil could spurt out of that tube and could be fairly clean too, but not clear.

O5Q45

Thanks Guys,
I still have not located the cause or source of this stuff. I turned the wheels fully to try and get a good look. I see that the shock and strut are not the culprits as they are fully visible in the wheel well. I am still getting seepage of this stuff off the area of the front inner connection of the A arm. I have found some dark colored grease within the clear grease like substance. The only thing that is straight up from that area is the cam shaft position sensor, the dipstick, and I guess that's about it. Can anyone tell me, if in the area where the a arm bolts to what it bolts too, (frame?) If there is anything at all above or around that area that would have any type of grease there? I have to say I am not that familiar with how front wheels are set up on rear drive cars. I'm used to seeing a large boot on both ends of the axle and so on.. so I assume the only thing in or around there would be the steering rack? I can see the boot at the wheel I think that is the steering component. Eddie mentioned the ball joint. I remember having a ball joint done on a Volvo back in college days and I think it was in this area. At 110,000 miles should I be having anything ball joint related? I've driven Honda's and Acuras since 1994. Last year I bought this Infiniti for something different. I have driven those aforementioned vehicles up to 285,000 miles on the last TL I had. I've never replaced any major parts except a transmission recall on the 2004 TL we had. My point here is on Japanese vehicles stuff like ball joints should not be seen till circa 300k right? Wrong? Have I just been lucky? Anyways, I just want to make sure the car is safe. Can you guys tell me any signs or symptoms of the ball joint or anything else that would not be safe? All fluids are full and recently replaced. The tires have 10k on them and nothing was mentioned. The driveshaft replaced 12k ago for vibration. Nothing mentioned. So, again, what symptoms or signs are warning of danger?

centralcoaster33

Well, the fluid needs to be coming from somewhere. I have seen AC condensation drip pretty good on some cars after being on a significant drive during a hot day. That would be clear water pretty much. I suppose you could top off all the fluids and have the undercarriage cleaned up a bit, maybe pressure washed. Then over the next few days, just monitor the fluid levels and the car's underside, look for leaks and drips, then follow the path of the moisture to a bad seal or loose connection somewhere.

I don't have a Q and am unfamiliar with the configuration specifics you ask about. Perhaps someone else with a similar car can respond to those.

Bushing and joint disintegration, well, your mileage may vary. The older the car, the older the rubber and urethane. The more extreme the weather, the quicker the wear. There are 20 year old cars with only 80K on them and 5 year old cars with 300K on them, both or neither might have worn bushings that leak.

O5Q45

I've found some similar issues and questions related to tension rod bushings and also radius rod bushings. Have no idea what they are. Am going to try and look it up. Also see how long I've got till I have to deal with this.. I'm not financially ready for anything for about a month... if that's what it is I hope it's safe to let it ride a while..

centralcoaster33

I won't say your ride is safe to use in today's litigious society, but I haven't read anything here that makes me want to say your ride is unsafe or not-roadworthy. Maybe clean and observe as I suggested while you budget your income for potential repairs.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Yeah... I'd say you really need to get it in the air on a lift, or at least jack stands, to figure out what's going on. On a car this low, the wheel turn and flashlight method will only get you so far.

O5Q45

I appreciate the info guys. I called the shop that put my alt. On and asked if they have a press. He immediately was reluctant to answer. I explained I have a bushing going out and that it is either a control arm bushing or tension rod bushing and asked if they could use a press and replace it. He said he needed a VIN number and that some of the control arms the ball joint or bushing is built in and it's not sensible or sometimes not possible to do it. Does anyone know on the F50s what the case is? Can it be pressed in or do I have to replace?

EdBwoy

A lot has transpired since I last posted. This is what I see.
The q45 front suspension is very simple with only a lower control arm & stabilizer bar + links. Not only are these uncommon failure points for this platform, but I don't see anything related to this setup dripping grease for this long.

You mentioned seeing the boot. Yes, that's the steering rack. However, you don't mention whether you checked it for tears or drips and such.

Just to confirm, you're doing your checks with the engine undertray off the car, correct? That way you'll get to see what else could be leaking from the engine (although leaks from this area of the engine wouldn't be greasy - think engine oil and transmission fluid)

My recommendation as above is not to stress yourself over pressing bushings that are outside the leak area yoI've told us. Let the car sit overnight with the undertray off and a cardboard sheet underneath... or take it to a shop with a lift, to pinpoint the source of the leak. After that we can try to figure out how to fix the single main problem.

q45inca
Car: 2002 Q45

I have the same dripping on both A arms and to me it looks like the A arm bushings (the biggest ones) are liquid filled (just like some engine mounts) and that means both A arms need replacement. The bushing is not available by itself, but A arms (lower control arms) are priced from $160 to $600 for the pair, so not too bad on the lower end. Anyone to confirm or deny this fluid information?

OwnerCS

I had the same thing happen when my tension rod bushings blew out a few years ago. Note that I have a 91 model and was able to replace them with Energy Suspensions.. See a recent thread about tension rod bushings..

What is your year model?

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”