StopTech Sport brake issue.

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
Finnkc
Car: 2007 G35S < Gone
2008 G37S 6MT
2010 G37XS

So back last fall I installed StopTech Sport slotted rotors and Pads along with SS lines... part # 977.42013. This was on the 07 S.

Install went fine, my Nissan master tech did wrench work as I didn't have the time. The break in went fine, I did it over two different sessions. Brakes worked like a charm... until a few days later I washed them.

I washed the car and drove 5 mins home and parked it in the garage for the weekend. Monday morning I pulled out and holy **** what has happened to my brakes. The judder was out of control. I have had bad old rotors before and even worn pads down to the metal ... this was something else.

I pulled over and to my horror the disks had a huge rust patch blemishes on them where the pad had been all weekend. So I thought ok, maybe its a weird thing with a new install. High carbon, bla bla bla ... I talked myself out of freaking out. I can probably just do some spirited braking and it should go away. Well it took a lot of that to even get the rotors to stop juddering like mad. When I say judder I mean my 5 year old in the back seat asked me what was wrong with the car ... I mean really, it was stupid bad.

So a few weeks went by and the condition slowly got better. The blemishes cleaned up, and after some more good hard but progressive stops things seemed to be good.

Then I drove home one really wet Friday afternoon and parked in the garage all weekend ... Monday morning ... This **** again?!

Most of the winter I had it come and go. I think the lower temps helped keep it at bay maybe, not sure, my garage isn't heated.

But last week I did a really good wash and even after driving around for 20 mins and then parking ... the rust patches came back a few days later when I went for a drive.

I have contacted StopTech about this and I will keep you all posted. I have had many sets of Brembo rotors and various brands of pads on my past cars and I have never had to baby them like this. Its really starting to irritate me. I paid about $1800 CAD for this all in and I know its not a top of the line kit but I mean really ... it shouldn't be like this.

Anyone else had this problem?
Am I correct in thinking this is going to start diminishing the rotors and the pads if it happens this frequently?
I am hoping replacing the pads will fix the issue. See what ST says... so far nothing.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

My g35 sedan that was converted to the G37 Sport AKEBONO brakes did that to me no long ago and up to that point over the past few years of using the same rotor, never had any issues. The judder finally worked its way out.

Finnkc
Car: 2007 G35S < Gone
2008 G37S 6MT
2010 G37XS

Interesting.

Still no response from ST.

I have managed to burn off most of the buildup from Monday. Its been raining, and it seems the pad marks come off quickly when the rotors get some moisture on them.

But its raining and that means the whole process could start over again if I leave it sitting too long ... :tisk:

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”