Stop Light Inoperative

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Ted

Hi Everyone,

In the last few days, my 94 Q45 flashes a message "Stop Light Inoperative" when ever I hit on the brake. The message locates where the electronic trip odometer is at. I check all the light at the rear, including the stop light behind the rear seat. Everything works fines. Can someone give me an idea what it is I am dealing with?

Thanks

Ted

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

This is a common problem with several possible solutions. You could have non factory bulbs that draw a different wattage and set off the warning. The screws attaching the wiring to the sockets could be loose and intermittently breaking contact. There are several bulbs in each taillight and just one of them could have failed and you didn't see it. The bulbs and sockets could be slightly corroded and making intermittent contact.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Even if all the bulbs work or look OK, the only way to get rid of the annoying message long-term is to replace all the bulbs with new factory bulbs. I repeat: replace all bulbs with factory bulbs.

Many Q owners have been through this many, many times (including me).

If that doesn't work, you need to buy the white plastic things (there is a proper term, of course) which house the bulbs in the taillight.

'Tis a sensitive beast!

:rolleyes

Rmay

Factory bulbs, factory bulbs, factory bulbs!!!

I didn't listen and the warning wouldn't go off, even though all the lamps work properly. Then I replaced the bulbs with the bulbs supplied (gratis!) by the dealer. And low and behold, the warning went off.

If that fails, as others have said, change the white plastic holders.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”