Stolen 240Z, Looking for help

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
z32 fairlady

I'm not sure where else to post this. Mods feel free to move it if need be.

I am an avid reader of various automobile related blog sites. Once in a while I come across those stories where an owner is reunited with their car from either having to sell it at some point in their life or it was stolen. I can't help but wonder in this day and age if there is a way to track classic vehicles based on their VIN prior to the 1981 standardization of VIN numbers.

Here's my story...

The year was 1993. I was 9 years old. and Dad was either in the double digits for Z ownership or on the verge of creeping into double digits(1). He purchased a '72 240Z and spared no time getting it to a friend's shop in Hollywood, FL.

Fast forward to Summer 1994, we had just moved from West Palm to Orlando, FL. At the time we were staying in apartments and Dad was back and forth to West Palm while tying up loose ends and awaiting his job transfer. His transfer came through and was now permanent in Orlando.

October 1994, the car was near completion. I'm sure most if not all of you on this forum can imagine the excitement at this point. His inspiration for the color was the Dodge Viper yellow. And to set it off, added dual, black racing stripes down the middle. He went down to help out with the finishing touches and bring the car up on Friday, October 21, 1994.

I could not accompany him but was waiting up the Friday night to catch a glimpse of it and go around the complex with him for a ride. It was past 10PM and I passed out on the couch, and Mom ended up putting me to bed. Dad came in sometime between then and midnight, I believe. The car was parked in a spot where it was visible from our apartment.

At some point in the night he heard a sound that sound like the engine start. As tired as he was, he thought he was dreaming. The following morning he woke up early to wash the car. I heard him wake up and got out of bed myself to help and of course go for my ride :biggrin:

He grabbed the keys and walked down. I finished getting dressed to go meet him and at the same time he comes back in pale as a ghost and in a panicked state. He immediately asked Mom to call the cops and we went walking around the complex to look for the car. In his mind, he was hoping he had parked it somewhere. At the same time he recalls hearing the engine start overnight. The car was gone! While walking around, this was the first time I saw Dad cry.

Being new to the Orlando area, we heard of places not to go driving into or to stay away from. Needless to say Dad spent a few days scouring neighborhoods and inquiring at local shops looking for his Z. There was only one sighting we're aware of - a liquor store in Eatonville, FL.

The car was unique for that time. So it is without a doubt it was easily recognizable and stood out in people's minds.

A few months later we were headed east bound, back from Tampa area on I-4. Dad spotted a yellow S30, no stripes running down I-4 headed eastbound. He immediately got off at the next exit and chased after the car. We followed the car all the way to a Walmart parking lot and it was now night time. Dad waited until the driver and passenger exited and went in. Then walked up to the car and looked at the VIN, It was not his car.

He had the VIN ingrained in his head and probably knew it better than my own birthday.

We still have the police report(s), title, insurance documents all showing ownership of the vehicle with his name on it. Just need to identify any which way we can be reunited with this car.

(1) - He's owned every generation Z except for the 370Z.

Jabberwocky
Car: 08 Subaru WRX

Sad story man, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried going to the DMV and having them check records to see if it was ever titled again in FL? I'm not sure if Florida has smog testing, but if so maybe see if you can have them check their records.

Sorry I don't have many ideas to offer, best of luck finding it though, that would be incredible.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Here is the classic Z registry
http://www.zhome.com/IZCC/ZRegisters/classic.htm
You can also put out in the z car forums, zcca clubs the vin # of the stolen car and someone might know of the car. Unfortunately state by state the title and registration laws vary and they don't all share info. I know alabama does not require a title for a car over a certain age. here in KY every car has to have a title to be registered and they check state database (possibly others?) whenever a car is titled in KY for the first time. I'd think no one could register or title that car in your state with the stolen report having been filed even so long ago. Every now and then you hear about a car someone tries to title only to find it was stoler 30 years ago and it gets returned to the original owner. The thing to remember is that the only vin# that matters is the one stamped on the firewall, the ones on the dash and door jamb can easily be removed or replaced.

datsun-s30
Car: 1972 Datsun 240z

I realize that this is an older post. However the story seems to be much older still. So I figured that I'd make an attempt to see if anything has come about of this?

Also, I saw a yellow 240 with a black racing stripe on classiccarsdb.com the other day (HLS3046929) but it had a small block Chevy motor swapped in. Kind of doubting t's the one.

Do you happen to know the VIN of the missing z?

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”