still hope for the good ol' KA?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
honda_eater

hey ive got an 89 240 with a ka24e (156k) and it is slow. It really eats at my heart to get beat by hondas. I am broke as a mutha and I wanna reach 200hp mark. If 200hp is all I want then is the SR the the cheapest way to do it, If not then what is. If I cant reach 200hp with my KA how close can I get without selling my soul to the devil.

SPIRO

I love my KA24E!!!!!! Its so underappreciated :'( Start by making a free cold air intake out of your factory airbox for a few free horsies if you don't have cash: http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....irbox From there just save up and go for a hotshot header , catback exhaust and maybe a pulley. Thats pretty much all i got so far (also have high flow cat, B&M shortshifter, n plug wires) and i've beaten every single honda i've ever raced, a passat, an 86 GTI 16 valve(down a windy *** road gettin air of everybump right on his *** the whole time and straightline at a stoplight) , some BMW not sure what kind, a RICED chevy lumina haha, 95 Impala SS(well just off the line he caught up and killed me times 8), um an older celica, a couple old mustangs, an a newer one just to name a few. Good luck!!!

These sites should help:- http://www.realnissan.com- http://home.att.net/~MabuhayCarlos/

I've done a good amount of research on my KA24E so I can try to answer any questions you might have, you can email me if youd like [email protected]

SPIRO

Oh i just noticed you have Bosch plugs. Throw them in the garbage right now!!!!!!!!! Get some NGK plugs trust me. Ok then start with makin your own intake and get NGK plugs, good luck!

honda_eater

ok I just did some math tell me what u guys thinkbase...................................140hp...................$O+custom cold air intake.......+5hp....................$5+hotshot header.................+10hp..................$375+performance exhaust........+8hp....................$300+performance cam...............+20hp..................$350total.....................................183hp..................$1030

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

you'd have to get some wild cams for 20hp. I think you may get 25-30 hp with all those mods, putting you at around 165-170 flywheel hp, maybe 140 at the wheels.

honda_eater

haha ok my bad, well it was worth a try. Even if thats all I get it still seems a lot cheaper to get to 200hp w/ my ka then w/ the SR swap

Zebrahead
Car: cars, basketball, girls, fishing

doctorj240 wrote:you'd have to get some wild cams for 20hp. I think you may get 25-30 hp with all those mods, putting you at around 165-170 flywheel hp, maybe 140 at the wheels.

Nah, I think you're shooting a bit low. Honda, you're definitely shooting high. A REAL intake will gain you 3 max, a good quality exhaust (not a cheapo $300 exhaust) will give you maybe 3-4, a header maybe 1-2, cams probably around 8-10. If you average the numbers, and add them up, I'd say around 16-20hp to the wheels depending on the condition of the engine, etc.

With those, a strong DE should dyno around 155 to the wheels. Subtract around 10-15 for an E. Once those mods are done, getting more horsepower gets a lot pricier. I would just keep the car stock, make people think its slow, and buy an SR. It will be well worth it. Remember, if you get your KA up to 200HP (which is doubtful w/o forced induction or Nitrous) it will be maxed, whereas a stock SR will have the same horsepower (around 190 to the wheels), and for $5000 more, you can run low 12s.

Nick.

R240NA

honda_eater wrote:ok I just did some math tell me what u guys thinkbase...................................140hp...................$O+custom cold air intake.......+5hp....................$5+hotshot header.................+10hp..................$375+performance exhaust........+8hp....................$300+performance cam...............+20hp..................$350total.....................................183hp..................$1030

If only it was that easy. Those numbers are all approximate, and cannnot be just combined. With every available bolt on you'd be hard pressed to break 155rwhp on a SOHC. Don't take that as law, just from experience I've seen that's the outcome. Also different engines will respond differrently, an older choked down motor vs. a fresh motor for example. With I, H, E, ECU, pulley set, flywheel, and cams I'm pushing close to 165rwhp on a DOHC, but going off manafacturers claims I'd technically be breaking 200. Ya, sure.

jrc90240sx

Well its posable to get the KA24e to 200hp (maybe 170rwhp), but not off of bolt-ons. I am rebuilding my KA24e right now, going with 9.5 CR (same as the KA24de), and will be port&polish the head. all forged bottom end, JWT cam finishing up the engine. then i will have the ECU returned, and put on a CAI, and UDP (not going to wast my money on headers), and i already have my exhaust. with all that i should be as fast as a SR stock, and in a year or so put on a turbo and be at about 250-300 rwhp.

the resone the KA24de has 10 more hp stock is not only the extra port, but also the higher CR. and when turned NA the KA24e can run side port carbs, letting it run much higher CR on pump gas.

midnight brother

I think Daunttless / Afterdark making 200NAHP ka's to buy or something. I don't feel like checking his site but you can.

honda_eater

good stuff JRC about how much would that cost me if I had it done because I know I cant do any of that myself. Ballpark figs anyone?

Boehm

Working on the chap requires a little more though and a little more work that just throwing money at the problem.

I like to group things together when looking at mods. Here's what I see as a good starting point to go cheap:

Letting it breath: Intake (don't buy a kit, make one, works just as well, and if possible cold intake.) Header. If you are good woking problems out you MAY want to think about a pacesetter (God forbid, someone reccommending a pacesetter). You will have to strip the cheap pain and repaint it, sand it, and do a mild port (smothing). The install will be a slight b**ch too. But it will save you $200. Kill a weekend though.And an exahust. Too many options to discuss here.

Rotating Mass:Replace your pully. Asp makes one on the cheap. I would say that it is worth the $120.Flywheel: Firdanza a lightened one for about $300. A noticable diffrence in low gears. Do the clutch right now too.Loose the clutch fan. Install a real water temp gauge to make sure everything is going ok.(Loosing rotating mass has a much more dramatic effect the lower the gear that you are in. I have a friend with a FC RX7, and were at about the same power to weight ratio, and similar enough gearing. He doesn't stand a chance at a stoplight race, but I don't stand a chance at 100+mph going uphill)

Now you can think about ECU upgrades (if you go cheap and KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING you can advance the timing.)

Also check out http://www.gude.com He'll re-do a KA head/intake manifold/cams/tb for 1750. Expect to gain 40-50 at the wheels. Unconfirmed there, that's what they told me when I called though.

Have fun

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Boehm wrote:Flywheel: Firdanza a lightened one for about $300.

Where can find a Fidanza lightweight flywheel for around $300? All ive found so far is:

Clutchmasters: $405AASCO: $419JUN USA: $404Unorthodox: $565

I would love to find one in the $300 ball park!

Boehm

$329.99 right now from http://www.enjuku-racing.com. (I give them an 'A' on service and knowledge too, espicially on the 240)

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”