Still driving that 90-93 Q with original chain guides? WAKEUP CALL!!!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

I started on my guides yesterday. I only have time to tackle it little by little until Saturday, but I think the hard stuff is over with. I'll explain more in detail later, but I just have to say...when I got that chain cover off, I pretty much sh*t myself!

I had the car on a rack (lucky me huh?) and finished opening the cover from the bottom. Right when I got it off, this is what I saw dangling from the oil pump chain.

The guide in the red is the other half of the guide in the green

Lots of slack on passenger side

So far I've only spent about 3 hours total on this job. Not bad. Not very hard, pretty straight forward. The only part I've had mechanics help with was the Crank pulley removal, which he literally did in 45 seconds. I'll post that procedure when I get a chance.

I test fitted that dangling guide back on to the piece that's still connected. Perfect fit. Looks like there's pretty much nothing in the oil pan to fish out. It appears that my guide might have dropped almost right when I was driving it to my friends shop. Lucky me! Thank God I bought the 240 to drive around so that I wouldn't ruin the Q by driving it without having guides done first

I'll update this thread as I get though the job.

BTW: My engine is a jdm engine installed last August which was known to have exactly 68,997 miles on it at removal. I've only driven it 10k miles since then. So low mileage folks, you're not off the hook. Also, the mechanics that are watching my back while I handle this diy first told me (and I quote) "Change the oil every 3k miles and don't worry about the chain guides." I can't wait to see the look on their faces then they see the guides tomorrow

3rd Q

Evan,I know the feeling ! When Sqeefoo helped me do mine on my '90 with just 73k, I was stunned to see the driver's side guide in 7 pieces strewn all over the place.

'90-93 owners-if you haven't done your guides yet - do them!

Paul

Rex
Car: None

Evan - glad to know you've avoided the dreaded chain guide failuer, but for the love of all that is Fred the Oil Mater, get rid of the Fram oil filter .

Very impressive that you're tackling this yourself.

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

Rex wrote:Evan - glad to know you've avoided the dreaded chain guide failuer, but for the love of all that is Fred the Oil Mater, get rid of the Fram oil filter .

Very impressive that you're tackling this yourself.
Hah, yeah that fram is going away. That was just a temporary because the one I got from Infiniti somehow was stripped when I took it out of the box. I had to make an emergency run to Autozone.

I have a Mobil 1 filter and oil waiting to go in upon completion.

Once I install a new guide and tensioner on the passenger side, will that slack go away?

Jesda

I'm baffled by the slack on the passenger side. Mine was fairly tight:

Rex
Car: None

gniknave wrote:Hah, yeah that fram is going away. That was just a temporary because the one I got from Infiniti somehow was stripped when I took it out of the box. I had to make an emergency run to Autozone.

I have a Mobil 1 filter and oil waiting to go in upon completion.

Once I install a new guide and tensioner on the passenger side, will that slack go away?
Glad to know about the Fram .

I suggest a thread in Infiniti Online Mech about the slack, best place to get feedback on that.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Good pics Evan

engine looks to be in great shape!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”