Stiff Steering

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
mossman77

I just purchased a 2004 G35 and have noticed that the steering is quite stiff, making it somewhat difficult to maneuver especially at parking lot speeds. What could be the cause of this? Power steering fluid is full and the alignment seems fine.

yerv[g35]
Car: 03 g35 sedan

thats how the car is mine was the same before i got my H&R's

g35sedanlover
Car: 03 Infiniti G35 Sedan

might be the PS pump. Their is another topic talking about this and one person said his started getting stiff before it went. I have a new one but haven't put it in yet. I will let you know what it does (might be a few weeks though).

mossman77

Don't quite understand why changing the springs would help the steering, unless you had the camber adjusted. I debated getting the alignment checked to see that helps, but don't want to throw money away. Maybe I'll just over inflate the front tires!?

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

mossman77 wrote:Maybe I'll just over inflate the front tires!?
Great idea, while you're at it why don't you try using peanut butter as octane booster.

My steering is obnoxiously stiff too. I just chalk it off as that's the way it was designed.

mossman77

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding stiff steering on my recently purchased '04 G35 sedan. I was under the car this weekend while changing the oil, and noticed some fluid on the passenger's side steering rack boot (where the boot clamps to the rack). I am curious if this is the cause of my steering problem (overly stiff steering). According to the power steering gear component diagram (page PS-17 of service manual), there is an inner and outer rack oil seal, which I believe may be causing my leak. If these seals are leaking, perhaps there is air in the fluid lines thus causing the stiff steering.

I was wondering how difficult it is to replace these seals and what exactly would be involved. Any help/advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated. I reallly don't want to pay to have the entire rack replaced if the problem can be fixed by replacing a couple of seals.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Here's a response I posted last week in a thread that discussed this issue a bit:

"The G35 uses variable power assist. The big problem with the 03-04 models is it varies with engine speed. Newer models vary the assist with vehicle speed. Why they decided to even consider using engine speed is beyond me. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do about it other than trying to keep the revs down a bit when parking. My Titan is also dependent on Engine speed. Turning the steering wheel while trying to accelerate from a stop or near stop can be a bit of a pain. Especially when the truick weighs 5000 lbs."

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

mossman77 wrote:I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding stiff steering on my recently purchased '04 G35 sedan. I was under the car this weekend while changing the oil, and noticed some fluid on the passenger's side steering rack boot (where the boot clamps to the rack). I am curious if this is the cause of my steering problem (overly stiff steering). According to the power steering gear component diagram (page PS-17 of service manual), there is an inner and outer rack oil seal, which I believe may be causing my leak. If these seals are leaking, perhaps there is air in the fluid lines thus causing the stiff steering.

I was wondering how difficult it is to replace these seals and what exactly would be involved. Any help/advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated. I reallly don't want to pay to have the entire rack replaced if the problem can be fixed by replacing a couple of seals.
While I would address the leaks (have the dealer do it if the warranty is still good), it's likely not the cause. For the PS to be diminished that much through leaks, it would have to gush out fluid. Secondly, air in the power steering lines would cause an erratic feel from the steering wheel as you turn the wheel (It might be percieved as small abrupt vibrations).

Jacko3

Sentientbydesign wrote:
Great idea, while you're at it why don't you try using peanut butter as octane booster.
sentient, don't be naughty.

You make Jacko laugh too hard.

Jacko3

mossman77:

either the PS pump is about to go bad or just get used to the steering as C-Kwik had suggested.

Wait for yervg35 to install his to see what happens. The G-35 has tons of noise and small issues that don't really affect driveability but do more to annoy the driver. It is a car that has a tantrum, but yet too fun to drive.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Study your FSM, it shows how to test the EXACT amount of steering force required to turn at different speeds..............usually less than 9.0 pounds applied to steering wheel edge.............there are ways to adjust to spec but it probably is normal.

Use a spring fish weighing scale to measure turning force.

Obviously different tires and different inflations and different road surface will change the feel........perceived amount of force.

So many people have different desires the factory lists specifications that should have been consulted BEFORE the purchase.

KIZITO22
Car: 2003 INFINITI M45

If anyone wakes up and has this problem, please do the following. Go fill up your tires to the correct PSI (2003 infiniti m45, so I put 36 in mine). Steering will become less stiff. But if you have been losing power steering fluid for a while you have to add more synthetic power steering fluid (Honda is the best). Before you take your car to the dealership (they will tell you to replace the rack and pinion, power steering pump or o-ring). Take your car for a short drive. Make a right or left turn and let your steering wheel return to its normal position by itself. If it doesn't straighten itself, then you probably need to replace the pump or rack and pinion.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”