Sticking rear brakes and stubborn drums

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
MrClaw
Car: 1965 Datsun L-320

I have had a couple occasions where the left rear brake was dragging. whether this was the E-brake not properly returning, or faulty springs or cylinder I'm not sure. Problem is, I can't get the drum off. I had been trough this before with the rear axle in a huge honkin' vice, but that is not an option at this point. When they went back together, I was sure to use anti-sieze where the end of the axle goes into the hole in the drum, but it's stuck fast. Is there a puller for this job, or has someone made one? In the event I ever get the drums off, should I take them to a brake shop to have the central hole enlarged by a few thou? Thanks

IMH

When I had the 'rear brake dragging' problem it was because both adjusters were stuck and not floating back and forth when the brakes were applied then released.  Or, as the service manual says, the weren't 'allowed to slide and centralise'.  As far as removing the drums, BFH!  I've tried pullers but a hammer is less frustrating in the long run.  I never had the central hole enlarged.  In fact, since I took care of the adjusters, the drums come off fairly easy when I work on the brakes.

MrClaw

I had been trying with a MFH (2lb brass hammer and a drift) but I gave up after about 15 minutes. The wheel was turning freely when I tried to remove the drum, but I wouldn't be surprised if the adjusters are not set up right.

Thanks for the reply

zenndog
Car: 1964 L320

I really had to whack mine to remove the rear drums, I rotated the drum between strikes. Odds are if they are stuck they haven't been off in a while. You may want to consider new drums. Don't forget a little liquid wrench or wd-40.

After I removed them I cleaned the axel flange, the new drums went on smooth. I also put a little bearing grease on the flange to hopefully stop them from getting so tight next time:?

http://www.olddatsunpickuplovers.com/forum23/941.html

The online store i bought drums on is down to their last stock of the rear drums so.....

zenon

mklotz70

The back drums on the NL didn't want to come off.  I used a 13lb slide hammer with an "L" on the end.  Caught the edge of the drum, gave it a whack....rotated...repeated...came right off!!  That's the first time I've used the slide hammer for that problem and man did it work slick!!!

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

The rear drums don't have the little set screws in them do they? I pounded the heck out of one of my drums then realized there was a  couple of bolts screwed into the axle near the center of the drum. Once I removed them I pulled the drum off by hand. I just don't remember if they were on the rear drums....

MrClaw

They have 1/4 28 flathead philips screws..which have been removed. Think I'll be looking for a BFSH Big @#%&$!@ Slide Hammer

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

Get a can of engine degreaser and spray centers and back side of the trum, tap the drums all the way around, spray some more wait a few hours, and repeat process. if that doesn't work try heating the drums and keep popping with the hammer. You might even check around for some old school mechanics and see if one of them has a drum puller. One of mine had a pretty good ridge on it and one of the brake shoes was stuck in the groove, somehow I managed to get a screwdriver into the right spot and released the shoe. Ken

Return to “Datsun 320”