Sticking Injectors

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
VQ20

I seem to be having a problem with my injectors on my VQ35. They seem to be sticking open. Is there any way to rectify this problem???

i not sure which injector it is at yet as i haven't put a scanner on it as yet. Planning to pull all the injectors and change the plugs.

Reason i said they sticking open is because it is spitting raw gas out the exhaust. when we initially started the engine this was not happening. the engine idled and revved normal and smooth, when i took it out for a spin it came back misfiring and later i noticed behind the exhaust wet when i bent down i smelt raw gas.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Injectors sticking is a very very very rare situation because of their internal spring stiffness, which is 3 times stronger than fuel pressure.

Any mods to oem designs on engine?

VQ20

Q45tech wrote:Injectors sticking is a very very very rare situation because of their internal spring stiffness, which is 3 times stronger than fuel pressure.

Any mods to oem designs on engine?
No, at least not while it was in my posession. Now a few things i should mention, 1) the car originally had the VQ20 engine in it so i using the 20 fuel pump, not sure what sort of pressure it was pushing because i know the regulator for that engine worked on vacuum and was at 43psi.

2) i had not hooked up the fuel pressure regulator to use my returnless setup, i suppose my haste to get the car running had something to do with that.

3) i did a OHM test and only 1 injector gave a low reading compared to the others and it appeared to be the same cylinder i was leaking oil into as well. I in the process of replacing the valve covers as i had oil in the spark plug tubes on the right bank( close to firewall).

Since i posted up this article i installed the fuel pressure regulator, pulled the injectors, soaked the tips in injector cleaner flushed them out, changed plugs and jus waiting on my VC to arrive and see if problem solved.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”