Stereo Questions

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
zjohnson1
Car: 1991 2+2 300zx

For those of you with aftermarket speakers in your 2+2's, what size speakers are you running? I have the bose system and was thinking about just using the big black housing and mounting some 4" speakers in the doors, but idk if i wanna do that in the back too. Is the only other option to buy the speaker mounting brackets from a non bose 2+2? As I understand it the 2+0 rear speaker brackets won't fit our car because of different pillar sizes or something. I guess I could fab something up but what do y'all do? I'm just doing this a little bit at a time(I'm a college student with very limited funds) so I'm gonna start out with no amp or subs or anything else, just the 2 front and 2 back speakers. My concern is that if I use 4" speakers in the back as well as the front, then I will have absolutely no lower range (base) so what would you recommend? Should I just deal with it and use 4's or figure out a way to mount some bigger woofers or what? Also what brand would you recommend? I don't have too much money to throw around here(so think really cheap), I was kind of leaning towards some Infinity Kappa's, basically the top of my price range right now. What do you think? Oh, and I'm going to be using a Kenwood headunit (KDC-X693). Sorry for the really long newbie post...

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

You can get MDF front speaker brackets off eBay for about $20 shipped. Mine worked out great. I sprayed them with 5 coats or so of Plastidip, to get them somewhat waterproof.

As for the rears, the 1990 Zs with a Bose system had 6.5" rear enclosures. You can find those used sometimes.

That way, you could run 6.5" speakers all around.

zjohnson1

^Very useful. Thanks for the info

zjohnson1

Ok, so I now have 6.5" Infinity Kappa's all around, but I want more bass. I'm on a budget, but idk how to go about getting the bass. A few options I am looking at now are getting something like this ( http://www.electrawarehouse.co...I.htm), one 10" sub and an amp to power that and go to my speakers, or a bass tube. Opinions? What are you guys running? I don't think I want 2 subs, I don't need that much bass and it kills my trunk space... but if I do get a sub this is probably how I'll mount it, only just on one side I like this because it uses the least amount of space out of any of the ways to mount the sub that I've seen

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”