Stereo Options

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Does anyone know if there is a dash kit out? The stock CD player sounds horrible compared to my Xterra.

Also, what size speakers does the Versa have? They look like 6" rounds on the door panels. I don't want to remove the door panels yet to verify that.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Have you done a search on Crutchfield yet?

Sahandman
Car: civic

i hope your not talking about the audio package with upgraded speakers and subwoofer cause thats the one ive bought, just waiting for it to arrive and wasnt able to listen to it in the dealer cause they didnt have one with that package. Are you complaining about the basic sound system it comes with or the sL 6 SPEAKER with upgraded speakers and subwoofer with 6 disc changer?.

penpen-commander

i got that, its not bad at all.

Ever Victorious

There are actually 3 stereos used...

The S stock stereo = 4 speakers, CD playerThe SL stock stereo = 6 speakers, 6-disc CD/MP3 playerThe SL "audio package" stereo = 6 speakers + sub, 6-disc CD/MP3 player.. and all the speakers are supposedly by Rockford Fosgate on this package.

I have the SL stock stereo in mine, and had it playing Kicking Harold's "I am Gasoline" (you know, the intro song for Overhaulin?) at max volume and it hurt. And there was also very little distortion. So unless you're either already deaf, an audiophile, or have an S... I'm not sure what you're talking about.

aussie_tiida
Car: 2007 tiida

hi, im a bit of an audio junky, and i was curious where the subwoofer was fitted?

i love big stereo's, but i want to keep it stock looking, ive bought a st-l, which comes with 6 speaker 6 stacker here in aus, with factory sports pack (yummy) and ive allready purchased a touch screen dvd with inbuilt stacker, and sub and amp, just wanted to know where the sub is installed?

anyone that has the upgrade pack, pics would be appreciated.

thanks

ben

XterraVersa

I got the standard S stereo. I didn't feel like paying the ~2-3k to upgrade to a SL with the better stereo. I can think of better ways to spend it & I didn't care about the extra gizmos & faux leather interior.

Crutchfield is somewhat of a joke with new cars. It said to use a '96 Toyota single din adaptor... It does say 6.5" speakes fit, but there is no wiring kit. Wonder if a Sentra's kit would work?

It sounds like crap compared to my Xterra because I have infinity kappas all around with a removeable Basslink II and direct wired XM. XM over through FM is somewhat muffled and weak.

The Versa's S/W is in the trunk on the passenger side.

Sahandman

dude my entire home audio system is infinity, they are the greatest speakers ever, now wonder you find the stock versa system to be inadequate.

The versa ive ordered is the SL- with technology package, which includes the upgraded speakers and subwoofer however i have 1 question,,, if in the future i want to change the rockford speakers with infinity speakers, do u think that the stock 6-disc deck can support the infinity speakers or do i have to add a deck and/or get an amplifier? btw, does the upgraded sound system have an amp in the versa or is it just running on the 6-disc deck?

Ever Victorious

XterraVersa wrote:I got the standard S stereo. I didn't feel like paying the ~2-3k to upgrade to a SL with the better stereo. I can think of better ways to spend it & I didn't care about the extra gizmos & faux leather interior.
See, for me, there are several features that betwen the SL and convenience package, help me with my work, and are used multiple times per day.

Having the better stereo is just the icing on the cake.

Lenn060

does anyone know where i can get a wire harness that fits the versa??

XterraVersa

Get the generic '95+ Nissan one at any electronics store. Unless someone knows if they changed for 2007.

Sahandman

something really disappointed me in regards to the upgraded sound system on the versa. When u go to the nissan website it says that with the audio upgrade u get 6 UPGRADED speakers plus rockford fosgate subwoofer, however on the rockford fosgate website under the OEM Nissan section, it says that for the versa the only thing that is added is the rockford fosgate punch subwoofer along with wiring and a built in amp, and no meantion of upgraded speakers. in the nissan sentra however all speakers are upgraded by rockford, where in the versa only a subwoofer is added. I believe this is an example of false advertisement because the speakers arent upgraded, only a subwoofer is added, so the speakers are the same ones in the regular un=upgraded package of the versa sl.

XterraVersa

Where are the 5th & 6th speakers located? I can not find an outline on the body panels where they would go.

The 4 speaker setup has 1 each in all the doors.

justmerging
Car: 07 Versa SL w/CVT Cuz I'm lazy

the 2 additional speakers are in the a pillars. they're just tweeters i would imagine as nothing else would fit in there.

Ever Victorious

Absolutely correct.

ilusha55

Sahandman wrote:something really disappointed me in regards to the upgraded sound system on the versa. When u go to the nissan website it says that with the audio upgrade u get 6 UPGRADED speakers plus rockford fosgate subwoofer, however on the rockford fosgate website under the OEM Nissan section, it says that for the versa the only thing that is added is the rockford fosgate punch subwoofer along with wiring and a built in amp, and no meantion of upgraded speakers. in the nissan sentra however all speakers are upgraded by rockford, where in the versa only a subwoofer is added. I believe this is an example of false advertisement because the speakers arent upgraded, only a subwoofer is added, so the speakers are the same ones in the regular un=upgraded package of the versa sl.
Six upgraded speakers means that you get 6 speakers instead of 4. You get an extra 2 - thats the updgrade.To me it never sounded like i would get a whole different set of speakers. it really depends on how you look at it...
Modified by ilusha55 at 8:33 PM 8/14/2006

Ever Victorious

He's referring to the actual Audio Package on the 1.8SL, which goes from a 6-speaker system to an "upgraded 7-speaker" system. One is the Rockford Fosgate woofer, but the site says there is a "premium speaker upgrade".

Until someone actually BUYS a versa with this package (which, as I understand is not available until late Fall), we probably won't know what that means... whether they consider the sub itself to be the whole "premium upgrade", or if they upgrade all speakers (and not necessarily with Rockford speakers, either)

Sahandman

yes, i bought the versa sl + tech package, which in canada is the package that comes with the sub and based on the website "6-upgraded speakers". The SL alone add's 2 additional speakers to the regular S model, however by getting the SL + audio package (in canada its tech package) according to the website i should be getting "6 upgraded speakers plus subwoofer". according to the rockford fosgate website, the nissan versa is equipped with a power punch subwoofer, thats all, no upgraded speakers, the 6 speakers are the same ones as in the regular SL without the audio upgrade. So its false advertisement on nissans part.

Ever Victorious

have you actually taken the standard speakers out of both models and looked to see if they are the exact same part, model, and number?

Just because Rockford doesn't say Nissan uses their upgraded speakers doesn't mean that they're not... they may be another brand, or of different construction than the speakers.

I have no frame of reference either, fyi.

Perhaps rather than slinging around the VERY hefty and serious phrase of "false advertising", you might want to actually research your beliefs and also find out exactly what Nissan means by their advertising phrase (try calling them, you might find something out).

Sahandman

ya im gonna contact rockford and ask them if they've installed speakers to the sl +audio package rather than just a subwoofer. Its true i never thought of that, maybe the speaker upgrade is another brand and just the sub is from rockford, anyhow ill find out.

jallendavis
Car: 1992 Maxima GL, 2005 Pathfinder SE 2x4, 2007 Versa SL (will take delivery in late Sept.)

Keep in mind I have no way to verify this as I have yet to take delivery of my SL. But the parts manager at my dealer tells me that the "upgraded" speakers in the SL (with or without the audio package) are by Clarion and only the Sub is Rockford. I would be interested to see if this is in fact true. Any SL owners feel like pulling the speakers to see?

PS the exact wording on the Nissan website and in the promo book for the audio package is " preimium speaker upgrade plus Rockford Fosgate powered sub" so there is certianly no fales advertizing going on there.
Modified by jallendavis at 4:43 PM 8/15/2006

Sahandman

so then where is the premium speaker upgrade? the only upgrade i see in the audio package is the added subwoofer, and the 6 speakers seem to be the same ones in the un-audio packaged version SL. If it tells you there is a premium speaker upgrade, then why are the speakers in this package the same ones in the regular SL without the audio package, what kind of upgrade is that when u get the same speakers? the only thing that makes the SL +audio package different than the plain SL is the subwoofer, and according to u, the speakers in both configuartions are clarion. Therefore, there isno premium speaker upgrade, just an added sub woofer.

Sahandman

ok heres what it says directly from the website.

-AM/FM/CD audio system = 1.8 S

-Premium AM/FM/In-dash 6-CD audio system = 1.8 SL

-Six speakers Premium speaker upgrade plus Rockford Fosgate-powered subwoofer = 1.8 SL + [A]

The plain SL gives u premium 6 speakers, but no sub.But ive purchased the versa with the A (audio) package which says " six speakers premium speaker upgrade PLUS subwoofer" therefore technically that would mean im getting speakers that are better than the speakers in the regular SL plus a subwoofer. But according to rockford, they are only installing a sub, no speakers. who knows maybe nissan has higher quality clarion speakers for the SL + A package. Dont u think this is a bit wierd and confusing?

XterraVersa

OK, so how do you remove the panels to get to the stereo. I have looked all over to find the magic panel with the screws.

I don't want to just start tugging on random panels to see if the pop out.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

I asked my dealer the same question about the 'upgraded' speakers, and he said that the 6 speakers in the 'Audio Package" are Clarions, and the sub is Fosgate. This makes sense, since clarion has been making audio equipment for Nissan for ever, as any 2nd and 3rd gen. Maxima owner will tell you.He also said that the 'upgrade' wasn't worth it and really didn't sound that good, but that's just his opinion.I'm not sure who makes the speakers for the S or standard SL setups.

yerrago
Car: 92 Pathfinder 3" Lifts, 32" tires

I'm coming from the poor man version of the Versa- which means there is no auxiliary input on the stock receiver. I wonder if there is any adapter I could put at the back of the receiver to enable auxiliary input, but I would doubt it. Which means a receiver + amp aftermarket upgrade would be needed to enable aux input capability. While at it, I may consider additional input such as bluetooth for cell phone use.

I've checked Crutchfield and there's a bewildering array of options and brands and prices. I still haven't made up my mind but if I want a great sound package, what are your recommendatiions?

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

Having had my Versa SL now for less than a week, I can safely say the stock radio really stinks!! The sound, especially on the AM station I tune to for the news and weather on the way to work, is equivalent to the old cars with the single speaker on the dash!!! The JBL system in my Explorer makes even the AM stuff sound good. If I were a big audio nut, I would be really disappointed, but hey, I bought this car for gas mileage and as a daily driver. Now, if the gas mileage sucks as bad as the stereo, we are gonna have a problem!!!

Rabass
Car: Tiida Q Hatch

I'm in Aus and my stereo in my Versa (Tiida in Aus) rocks for a stock system! mine is 6 speaker cd player. There was no option for 6 stacker, mp3 or sub woofer here, so this was the best it came with. Having the tweeters really makes the sound quite crisp and clear and the what i think are 4 6" speakers do a pretty good job for stock speakers. I'm also interested to know about the sub woofer option and how it is installed. does anyone have pics? is it moulded in or just a box sittin in the boot? i'd be interested in just buying the insert so i can put my own sub in there nicely. I wanna upgrade my headunit as i want something that will play mp3 cd's, looked at some double din touch screen dvd players, probably what i will get if i eventually decide to.

Rabass
Car: Tiida Q Hatch

Oh and why would you need a dash kit? The stereo in mine is perfect double din size, and is seperate to the dash. You can put a single din standard cd player or whatever in there with a spacer/compartment below it no worries. or just put a double din cd/dvd player in. should swap over easily

Ever Victorious

While the car does have an actual double-din chassis, in order to get a single-din stereo to fit with a dash pocket, and not look half-assed, it has to be a car-specific pocket, one that a company has gone out and molded to the contours of the dash.

Thus far, neither a dash kit nor a wiring harness adaptor exist for the Versa.

Return to “Versa General Chat”