Steering Wheel wont center after turn

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
salah_s
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Steering Wheel wont center after turn
Summary:
-Steering wheel on 05 Altima 2.5S needs to be forced back to center after performing a right or left hand turn, or lane change.

Possible issue:
-Control Arm bent due to going over small curb, daily (for about a week).
-going over small curb while making a SHARP right turn, at extremely slow snail speed.
-Alignment issue? even though car seems to drive straight.
-Sway bar links need to be changed anyway, but could this be the issue?

Additional info:
-Car seems to be well aligned, doesn't drift in either direction during high and low speeds.
-Car doesn't shake much in high speeds
-Control Arms replaced 3 years ago
-Inner and Outer Tie rods replaced 3 years ago
-Sway bar link replaced 2 years ago
-Struts replaced 1 year ago
-Steering Fluid is topped up at Min (for cold weather)

FULL STORY:

Hi, my steering wheel on my 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S is sticking and not returning to center after turns.

I started a new job 2 weeks ago, the entrance to the parking lot is a very sharp right hand turn and i usually have to go over the curb slightly in order to make it. My steering was fine on the way to work but while leaving i noticed that the steering was very stiff. While driving I noticed that after i make a turn in either direction, the steering wheel seems to lock in that direction (Left or right) and i have to FORCE it back in the middle (very dangerous).

I just got home and dont plan to drive it again until i figure out the issue. I remember having either the same issue or similar 5 years ago, I think I just had it aligned and it resolved the issue, does this sound right?

Thanks in advance,

Salah

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi, I think you should take it to an alignment shop. They can attempt to align it and if there's an issue that prevents them from doing so, they'll tell you about it. Also, I think you need to figure out how to get into a driveway without going over curbs to prevent further issues in your suspension and steering.

Welcome to NICO Club!

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”