Steering Wheel with radio controls

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
dcarrd
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Hi all,
I have a 1993 J30t that Im restoring and upgrading. Would like to know if there are any steering wheel direct or indirect swaps that include radio control buttons built in for an aftermarket double din (I know i'll have to adapt the harness with a ASWC-1 so it works). Id like to keep the infiniti logo on the wheel so hopefully there is something out there I can use. Any help would be appreciated.
Here's how she's looking so far. Once the interiors come back from the upholsterer I'll take a few more pics.

doughnut
Car: 96 j30

Sorry I don't know, but that's a good looking car, love that color.

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

put that wish under your christmas tree in December....

dcarrd

doughnut wrote:Sorry I don't know, but that's a good looking car, love that color.
Thank you. It belonged to my mother who had been bed ridden with COPD for the last 5 years. Thanks to this wonderful forum I was able to do the strut swaps(porsche up front and 280zx in the back), the timing/water pump service and changed all window motors and adjusted the moonroof motor to where its working flawlessly. Just got it back from the paint shop and waiting for color sanding. The rims are off a 2008 G35 sedan with fresh rubber. Seats and panels are getting a face lift, while I deal with the damn white carpet. I think Im going to dye it tan. Just need to sort out the radio and find a priest to exorcise my door locks lol Unfortunately mom passed away last September so finishing it will be to honor her, she loved that car.

doughnut
Car: 96 j30

Yeah she would like that I bet, nice job. I see the antenna is halfway up. Not sure if you're having a problem with it but I mention it because it's really the only thing besides brakes that I ever fixed on my car. The tail was broken off in the motor. Pretty easy to fix, bought a new mast online and just fed it into the fender after cleaning out the old chunks from motor.

dcarrd

yes, the antenna doesnt go up or down. I dont really listen to radio anyway but I'll sort it out. Luckily my local LKQ has a pristine 97 with front end collision that ive been scavenging off of. My moon roof had holes around the seal and was able to lift that one off with ease before the paint job. The biggest problem Im having is the damn keyfobs lol Ive tried fuzzycats way and a few other ways but cant get to make them work. Any suggestions on that too?

dcarrd

So I have since successfully installed this android radio and it looks fantastic (http://www.ebay.com/itm/231900545315). It fit perfectly and looks factory. Now Im going to attempt to modify the Cruise Control buttons to work with the radio. No I will not use the dedicated buttons already on the steering wheel. What im going to attempt is to wire a SECOND set of cruise control buttons that I pulled off the donor J30 via the Axxess ASWC-1 adapter and into the new radio. If you look on the left side of the steering wheel there is a small access door in which you can bolt in the second button plug with a bit of modification but the visual result will be identical to the right side except that the letters will be upside down. If it works I will post a how to for anyone that wants to try. Wish me luck.

f33lmywrath
Car: 1993 J30

Good luck! I would be very interested to see if you are able to get anywhere. I actually have an extra cruise button module that i picked up a while back after I discovered the same size plug on the other side of the wheel.

I have a couple OEM keyfobs if you are still having trouble with yours.

These boards seem dead now a days :mad: :mad: Then again, it seems less people are driving the J30 which I believe is a positive. :biggrin:

dcarrd

f33lmywrath wrote:Good luck! I would be very interested to see if you are able to get anywhere. I actually have an extra cruise button module that i picked up a while back after I discovered the same size plug on the other side of the wheel.

I have a couple OEM keyfobs if you are still having trouble with yours.

These boards seem dead now a days :mad: :mad: Then again, it seems less people are driving the J30 which I believe is a positive. :biggrin:
Because the cruise buttons have to go in upside down the plug doesnt match up so a bit of modification is required if you want to keep the same harness. Im just thinking Im going to solder the ASWC cables straight into the cruise buttons metal tabs in the back. First I'll try to talk to the Metra guys to figure out which cables on their harness are the correct ones. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have it sorted out

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”