Steering wheel vibration - not wheel alignment or balance

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
bullrid
Car: 01 Pathfinder LE

my steering wheel vibrates when i hit bumps in the road. its not just a small vibration that you can only feel, its the whole wheel moving a fair amount. it vibrates for a second or two and then quits. while driving on a nice highway, it does not vibrate at any speed until you hit a bump. just gradual bumps are not so bad, its the real hard instant bumps that shake it. i know that my front strut is gone but i didnt think that it would be the cause of it. my lower balljoints were gone so i replaced them both about 4 months ago, they should still be okay. i couldnt feel anything loose under the front. the tierod ends still felt tight. let me know if you can think of anything that might be the cause. i'm open to everything.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Sounds like blown strut(s) to me... i'd put money on it.

bullrid

do you think that the strut would actually cause vibrations? i thought it would just make the ride alot rougher. i will try it though

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

The main symptom of a blown strut or struts up front would be the tire bouncing after any major bump, causing your steering wheel to shake after each bump. Once you replace them, it will hold the road a lot better and won't bounce off every bump and pothole.

bullrid

okay, awesome. now to create a new topic on lifting my pathy

KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

Just wanna say "Yep"mine does this -- confirmed awhile back that my struts are both dead. . it sucks. .

I guess I'll eventually replace 'em

Welcome aboard!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”