steering wheel

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
thintzen

why is it when you turn the steering wheel returns to the straight position in successions, rather than a smooth rotation. i noticed this on my 03 g35 sedan and on other cars as well. i also noticed that on most other cars the steering wheel is much more smooth, especially when recovering from turns. its as if i have to bring it back to the straight position manually instead of it doing so itself.

DjPantsSpecR
Car: 93 MS13 92 RMS13

hmm... speaking entirely theoretically, maybe the G35 has a higher/lower castor angle than you are used to. Kingpin inclination almost entirely determines how much force the wheels use to return to center.

or maybe there is some crazy electrical do-hickey that causes the wheel to "step" back and forth... but that would be crazy

like i said, i'm just guessing, but i'm guessing that it has something to do with the castor angle

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I remember thinking about this a while back. I don't remeber the Castor angle setting for the G, but it seemed pretty normal for a sports car. I have noticed the G does not dial back to center on it's own very well.

Haven't noticed any problems with smoothness though...

DjPantsSpecR

I wouldn't be surprised if the G has a lower castor angle than you might be used to. Its an easy way to improve the mechanical advantage of your springs and shocks, and thus increase the feeling of the car.

so for a better suspension design, you have to sacrifice a little bit of "turn back"

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

My first thought when I noticed this issue was that the Caster was low, but IIRC, it was near the same spec as my S14 was. 8-9 degrees. I'll have to double check my info but I do recall being a bit surprised at the lack of self-centering despite the caster angle it was running.

A quick search on the internet found this:

Caster 7.25 min / 8.75 max / 8.00 Nominal

This is for a Coupe. I would expect to see better on-center feeling based on this.

DjPantsSpecR

okay second guess, is this castor with the front midship engine design, check the specs on the RX 8 and find a buddy who has one

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”