Steering wheel repair

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Gemmer
Car: 1964 Datsun PU 320

My steering wheel is cracked in a number of places. I was thinking of using Bondo to fill in the cracks, then painting after smoothing. Any thoughts? Alternate methods of repair?
Gemmer

Gemmer

Just had another thought, maybe JB Weld would be good?

Conner
Car: SRL31101633
1964 L320

I have a book called The Steering Wheel Restoration Handbook by Jack Turpin.
He suggests you use a PC7 epoxy putty. Here is a summary of his method from his book:

A. Saw out the random cracks to the metal core.
B. Bevel, clean, and pack with mixed epoxy putty PC7.
C. Wet your finger with lacquer thinner and smooth out the epoxy as best you can, leaving it a little high. For the most part you can shape and smooth almost to the final configuration as the epoxy material sets very slowly. Lacquer thinner is very flammable so be careful around open flames.
D. Allow to cure for several days.
E. File and sand to smooth finish.
F. You are now ready to prime and paint your steering wheel.

He says the PC7 can be found at good hardware stores and it is definitely available online. He recommends it for its hardness and non-shrinkage and because it is workable and has a long open time. Just be sure to mix it extremely thoroughly and then mix some more.
This book is out of print but you can find used copies and I recommend it. There is much more detail in the book.

Post pics of your wheel as you work on it. I think everyone's wheel is probably cracked and split.

Gemmer

Conner,
Thanks I'll check out the PC7 epoxy.

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

Conner,

Thanks for the info on the steering wheel. All 7 of mine are cracked in the same place. This should be a recall!

I've also looked at Bob's steering wheel repair out of Chicago, but have yet to call for an estimate - too scared of what the price might be.

thanks
Andy

Return to “Datsun 320”