Steering wheel radio controls

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
Square1
Car: 09 Cube

For those of you with the standard radio package.

Just wondering if anyone has removed their steering wheel cover to see if the wiring harness is there for the control buttons.

On the HHR I had the wiring was there and all I had to do was get the buttons and cover plate and VIOLA, radio steering wheel controls.

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

Anyone?

Square1

wingFeather wrote:Anyone?
Wing, thanks for the bump.

KromCube
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom

Well, Im not sure but If you have previously tried it, why dont you try it and find out? I dont mean to be blunt. Ask your dealership maybe.

Square1

KromCube wrote:Well, Im not sure but If you have previously tried it, why dont you try it and find out? I dont mean to be blunt. Ask your dealership maybe.
Yeah, that was helpful.

KromCube
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom

Sorry, people just seemed antsy for a reply. I just offered a suggestion. Its such a new vehical and many people dont want to tear into their steering wheels. I guess theres not much to do but try it yourself or see if your dealer could install those for you.

damian666robin
Car: 2009 nissan cube

mmmmmhh! tuff one, i tryed my best to remove the steering wheel and nothing, but if someone finds a way to remove the steering wheel please let me know lol!

Square1

damian666robin wrote:mmmmmhh! tuff one, i tryed my best to remove the steering wheel and nothing, but if someone finds a way to remove the steering wheel please let me know lol!
Just out of curiosity why we're you trying to remove your steering wheel?

My question wasn't about removing the wheel. I'm just curious as to weather the wiring is present for the radio controls. I know that many cars built today only use one wiring harness rather than building several based on options. They do this cause although it costs a bit more for the wire itself, it saves in the long run because of labor running several assembly lines for the harness. We did the same on airplane harnesses.

Although I think it would only take a few minutes to pop off the steering wheel cover I was looking to see if someone may have already done so. Just lazy I guess....LOL

On my HHR is was a simple task. All that was needed was to buy the buttons, the correct cover, and a small harness that attached to the exhisting main harness under the horn cover (actually the air bag). - Dan

damian666robin
Car: 2009 nissan cube

nah man i wish it was simple, the steering wheels of the cube is held by some weird looking hooks, not bolts the guys at nrg tryed their hardest same as me the following days but no luck i even called nissan dealership to see if they sell some kind of tool but of course that was the last place i got help, once they heard the word air bad they are like ILEGAL!! loL!

Square1

Damien,

at some point I will pull my horn cover off (and air bag) to get back there to look for wires etc. When I do I'll post something to let you know what I find. - Dan

Square1

Damien,

I just read all the info on removing the steering wheel and it doesn't look hard at all. You need to insert something long and thin (like an allen wrench) into the two holes in the steering wheel (very similst to my HHR). They're located toward the rear of the spokes. Push in on these allen wrenchs and you should feel the spring give a bit. These springs hold the pins to the air bag module. When you push in on the springs you pull the air bag module off, then disconnect the wires.

Once the air bag module is off you just remove the nut holding the steering wheel onto the shaft like any other wheel.

According to the service manual you don't even need to mess with the spiral wiring. It's behind the steering wheel.

Of course be sure to disconnect the battery first. - Dan

Return to “Cube Forum”