Steering wheel is stiff

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
piSSko
Car: 2009 Infiniti EX35 AWD

Hi guys,

yeah, another problem is visible. Hopefully it's not the rack and pinion cause that would make me really pissed lol.
Let me give you some info. A year and a half ago, I had had a leakage from the power steering cooler which I have fixed by replacing the cooler. Before cooler got replaced, I was left without an oil (once) as there was no tracks of the leakage on my driveway at all (engine bottom cover hold the oil).

Oil level is fine now but my steering wheel is stiff. :( Also I tried to make a left/right turns and let steering wheel to move back to the original position but it wouldn't do it completely - for last 1/4 of circle I need to move it manually.

Went to see mechanic and while asking him if that could come maybe from upper control arm, I got an answer: "yep, lets start with upper control arm." I was like, so we can tell problem lays in there? Mechanic: "you said that". lol

Is there anyone from Toronto who I can compare with my EX35? Any idea if that would be caused by power steering pump or bad rack and pinion?

thanks,

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, if you have a mechanic who is happy to guess things to replace at your expense it's time to find another.

I would think the power steering being out would simply make the wheel more difficult to turn in general but would not necessarily stop wheels from coming back on track. This may be a rack issue but I highly suggest finding someone competent to look at it first.

piSSko

thanks for the reply! hopefully it's not the rack cause not sure if that's worth of fixing it on the 2009. model... still have 2 more years to pay it off and then who knows... maybe tesla 3 will come to my garage :D

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

FYI, when I had my steering rack changed out 2 years ago, the total cost was around $2,100 USD. My mechanic recommended the OEM rack over aftermarket due to his concerns over quality. I actually ended up having the dealership do the work because their price was the same and I got a loaner vehicle for a few days.

Hopefully the root of your steering problem requires a less expensive fix. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

piSSko

sure I will once I decide to do some further investigation. It comes and goes, some days it would be ok some days it's stiff. would like to try someone's ex09 before going to any mechanic cause all of them are looking to make money and can tell me (noob) that I need to change something what doesn't need to be changed :D

piSSko

hey guys,

it's been awhile...

Still haven't had chance to go to mechanic and do detailed troubleshooting but some more interesting signs popped out.
Now beside having a stiff steering wheel, there is a noise coming from the right front side of the car. I would say it's kind off a squeaking noise either way I turn the steering wheel..

Would they be a belt issue maybe? NJGuy, did u get any kind of noise which turned you to replace the steering rack?

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

power steering pump is what is making the noise. Are you sure it has fluid in the reservoir?

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

piSSko wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm
hey guys,

it's been awhile...

Still haven't had chance to go to mechanic and do detailed troubleshooting but some more interesting signs popped out.
Now beside having a stiff steering wheel, there is a noise coming from the right front side of the car. I would say it's kind off a squeaking noise either way I turn the steering wheel..

Would they be a belt issue maybe? NJGuy, did u get any kind of noise which turned you to replace the steering rack?
The noise could be coming from the pump, belt or even something else. I'm no expert on these things, so if you want to get to the bottom of this you may have to bite the bullet and see a mechanic. I recall you were looking for a decent shop in the area. If you don't have any family/friends/co-workers that can refer you to a good mechanic, I'd recommend that you check out the repair facilities in your area that are approved by CAA. See here: https://www.caasco.com/Auto/Auto-Repair ... r-Facility

I never had any squeaking noises come from my EX when I turned the steering wheel.The only noises I heard with my old steering rack was a faint groan that only happened in the cold. Once the car was warmed up, that sound went away.

piSSko

Ive checked the fluid level and seems to be in specs... Once I put little bit more then what should be and was turning it pretty easy...
anyway, will go and see mechanic and post back...

thanks guys!

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The conventional wisdom that has said for years that you can run a power steering pump for a while whining from no fluid is WRONG, you pretty much always damage the pump doing that and then the worn particles get into the rack to seize it up. OP states no oil in pump on first post and the damage done.

Think what happens when you run your car with no oil in motor for a couple minutes, the PS system is the same way. I've seen a pump torn up by simply draining system for a fluid change and the worker simply farting around to refill it at start, the pump ran with no fluid for maybe 30 seconds and torn up after that. The whine is DAMAGE not air, the noise of pure metal to metal parts grinding.

The steering wheel is stiff because there is no PS assist, the pump is dead. Maybe rack too by now.

macgiver

mac , that whine IS not good ,I change my fluid in Olds - no problem , my INFINITI takes careful time & effort to purge & fill repeatedly to proper -NO FOAM levels and AMC 49 most COMPLETELY descrbed the situation in my opinion :cool: G 2/26/2018

piSSko

amc49 hopping you are wrong :)

btw, did some troubleshooting today by placing my hand on the lower control arm and had another person to turn the steering wheel. At first didn't hear any noise but after some time there was some clunking noise and I could feel the vibrations on the arm which went all the way to the upper control arm as well.

I do have to change the lower arm as while driving on the flat road/staring/stopping I can her the clunking noise from the right passenger side.

Maybe the steering wheel is stiff cause of the faulty lower control arm. Will change it out and let you guys know.

thanks everyone!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”