Steering Wheel & Ignition Locked, Inteli-Key Not Working

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
The Brat 61
Car: 2007 Nissan Murano SL 3.5l AWD with Intelligent Key

Hello,
I have a 2007 Murano SL. I recently had a remote starter installed on November 17, 2020. I had the serpentine belt and tensioner replaced on the 30th of November and, the alternator on December 28, 2020.
After the remote starter was installed, my intelligent key worked on and off so, I replaced the CR2025 battery.
It seemed to be fine for a few days and then up until I had the alternator replaced, it worked sporadically.
Two days after the alternator was installed, I got a call from a neighbor saying that my alarm was going off.
When I went out to the car, it was more of a high pitched whistle under the hood. I used the intellikey remote to open the doors but, it wouldn't unlock with the remote. The liftgate was open enough to pull it back and forth but, not enough to open and, it would not unlock either. I used the remote starter to unlock the driver's door and when I tried to start the car the steering wheel and ignition switch were both locked and would not unlock. Even while the car was started with the remote start, I could not unlock the wheel or the ignition. The remote stater shop found the Theft Locking Control Module filled with water under the dash. He said the problems had nothing to do with any of the wires or work that they did when they installed the Compustar Remote Starter System. I had it towed back to the alternator shop and he called in a locksmith because he said, the Intelligent Key and remote are not being recognized by the car. He thinks that the TLC Module may have affected the BCM? He now wants me to have the car towed to a guy that only works on electrical. He said the water getting in the module could be from the moonroof drains not draining out of the car. Does anyone have any ideas??? Thanks in advance,
The Brat 61

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't know what you mean by a TLC, there's an I-Key Unit (RKE Receiver) and the BCM. The BCM reads the fob. If the RKE got filled with water then it's possible it trashed your CANbus but it's unlikely it harmed anything else on the bus permanently. If the BCM filled with water it could have trashed and/or damaged a lot of things. Regarding the water, on an '07 if it's never had the sunroof drains blown out then that's your most likely culprit. Once it's fixed, check under the carpets, there are foam bolsters under there that will allow several inches of water into the floorpan without showing up on top. You don't want to mess with mold, stachybotris will do things worse than death to your central nervous system.

The Brat 61

Hello,
The "TLC" is the Theft Locking Control Module that was flooded with water in its case. It has a tag on it that says, CONT ASSY-SMART KEYLESS. This is the module that took on the water. Is that what you call the I-Key Unit (RKE Receiver)? If I replace that module and the BCM, will they need to be reprogrammed along with the fob? Do you think that the steering wheel and ignition switch will unlock once those are replaced? Yes, I am well aware of the dangers and damages that mold can cause, thank you! I will make sure this is not the case in my car once I have it back.
Thank you for your reply and info,
The Brat 61

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The Brat 61 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:47 am
It has a tag on it that says, CONT ASSY-SMART KEYLESS. This is the module that took on the water. Is that what you call the I-Key Unit (RKE Receiver)?
Yes, that's the RKE. It's really just a smart antenna, all the actual "anti-theft" features are inside the BCM. I'm not 100% sure about your Murano, but on most models the RKE can be replaced without reprogramming anything, the BCM is the actual keeper of all the stored data. Try unplugging the RKE and see if the rest of the car "wakes up" with the key inserted in the doghouse, because it's possible all the other symptoms are from the wet RKE trashing the CANbus.

The Brat 61

Thanks, I will let you know what happens,
The BRAT 61

Return to “Murano Forum”