Steering wheel finish coming off - 09 EX35

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
kapnbill

For a couple years now the paint/finish on my steering wheel has been coming off and its not just in places where your hands touch. The leather surfaces are fine of course but the rest of the wheel is looking very bad. The dealer says the only option is to replace the wheel which is quite expensive. has anyone else experienced this or gotten any relief from Infiniti? The dealer says it is a pretty common problem.
Thanks

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Yeah, it's a pretty common issue. See here:
steering-wheel-replacement-ex35-2008-t519612.html

I never bothered to get mine fixed. Given the age of your car, you might be out of luck getting any relief from Infiniti. But if you have an exceptional dealership service department, they might be able to find a way to give you some sort of discount on replacement.

kapnbill

Thanks. I've brought it up to the service department a few times over several years and all they did was offer to sell me a new wheel. Guess I'm SOL. Everything else about the car looks great;its a shame that the wheel looks so trashy.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

have a carbon fiber one made... search my posts. best thing I ever did...next to the G37S exhaust!

kapnbill

Do you happen to have a pic? Any chance you can email me details?
Thanks!

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

shoot me your email address... I found the guy on Instagram. He is big on G37 carbon fiber mods. @carbonfiberelement

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

I shot you an email with a photo. Let me know what you think

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

for those of you that were curious.... here is a good example of his Infiniti work (not mine...I just changed the bezel to the same one shown here)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgDAFkElME- ... berelement

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

You can buy just the replacement trim for the steering wheel: https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts ... jk07a.html

XIS
17 QX30 Sport

or you can make it look better :)

If you don't want to be without a steering wheel, you will need to buy the trim anyway to send in for carbon fiber treatment.

I have my original stock one somewhere in my garage if someone wants to save a little money and send it in for the carbon fiber... just let me know

Bocatrip

kapnbill wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:39 am
For a couple years now the paint/finish on my steering wheel has been coming off and its not just in places where your hands touch. The leather surfaces are fine of course but the rest of the wheel is looking very bad. The dealer says the only option is to replace the wheel which is quite expensive. has anyone else experienced this or gotten any relief from Infiniti? The dealer says it is a pretty common problem.
Thanks
The dealer is right. Steering wheel quality stinks for the entire Infiniti line. Always has. Best bet but the hardest is to get some help from Infiniti. Start with your service manager. Hopefully you have a good relationship with him/her. They know there has been a problem all along. I had my dashboard replaced after my G35 was way out of warranty with the help of the service manager. We are talking about the part alone being over $2,000! Even try negotiating to pay for part of the cost. Good Will is your best recourse if you have an established relationship with dealership. They want you to have your car serviced there. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

i had the same issue and ended up getting a g37 wheel that was practically brand new from ebay for 65 bucks. it fit right in and im a happy camper.

I think the later wheel trims dont peel.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”