steering wheel click

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
bbragg
Car: Infiniti M35 premium

I've posted on a couple other forums and haven't gotten much help or info, and was wondering if anyone here would be able to help.

I have a 'clicking' sound which is intermittent coming from my steering wheel, that is both heard and sometimes felt (as a type of minor 'pop'). This seems to occur when turning and definitely is intermittent in nature (I can't necessarily reproduce it every time for the Infiniti techs).

I'm not sure if it is coming from the upper unit on the steering wheel (containing the airbag, etc.) or deeper within the steering column. I'm thinking it's coming from the upper unit.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome to NICO!

I have to admit that this is the first time I have heard of this! How loud is it? For example, is it louder or softer than the click with the turn signal disengage?

Which model M do you have, by the way? Pictures would be cool!

Z

bbragg
Car: Infiniti M35 premium

I would say that the click is slightly softer than when the turn signal disengages, but a very similar click+feel. I don't think it's related to the turn signal itself.

I have an M35 premium, BTW. Was going to get a tech+journey+MES, but they could only find a premium in my area, so I bit the bullet. LOVE the MES for the kids, BTW.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

bbragg wrote:I would say that the click is slightly softer than when the turn signal disengages, but a very similar click+feel. I don't think it's related to the turn signal itself.
Hmmm ... I don't have a clue about what this could be! If anyone else does, I hope they chime in.

Maybe you have to wait till it becomes less intermittent and then have the Infiniti dealer check it out.
=bbragg wrote:I have an M35 premium, BTW. Was going to get a tech+journey+MES, but they could only find a premium in my area, so I bit the bullet. LOVE the MES for the kids, BTW.
Definitely a great thing for the kids! I wish I had one in my 2003 M45 for my seven year old son - he hates going on long trips (even the 50 minutes it takes to get to San Francisco!)

Z

jkrd101
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

Hey I am noticing the same problem as you right now, did anyone else find a way to fix this?

Lanor

I have a 2003 Nissan Altima. I have the exact same problem you described. It's a sort of soft clicking noise; a little softer than the indicator light click. In my case, sometimes it doesn't happen at all; sometimes it happens every 15-20 seconds or so. And it also seemed to be coming from the steering column. So, I brought it to the dealership this morning and they determined that I had two broken rods in the steering column; which will require a part of the steering column to be replaced. I'm looking at around 700 dollars right now (parts+labour + tax).

It's interesting that there are other Nissan/Infiniti cars that have the same problem, resulting in a similar symptom. I checked the warranty, and since the steering column isn't part of the drive train, power train, transmission, I suspect this is not covered by the warranty.

FYI, my car has never been in an accident and I can't think of a single instance (like hitting the curb) that would explain this malfunction. I'm wondering if they're using some kind of inferior metal in the steering column. Why else would those rods snap as a result of normal use?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”