Steering sensitivity, new tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Curve31
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue

I have a 16 rogue, 2wd. I had new tires put on 5000 miles ago. Toyo Extenza. I immediately noticed it was hard to drive straight. A slight adjustment would cause a pull to the right, then I would correct and it would pull to the left. Steering wheel is tight. I took it back twice. They aligned it twice. Husband doesn't notice it so I thought I was being picky and I'd get used to it. But I just can't.

Is it the tires? (They are inflated to 33)
Is there a way to adjust something?

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Are the new tires the same size/profile as your prev tires? In other words, same amount of sidewall?

Curve31

I'm assuming. They replaced the originals and I didn't ask. I can look though.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Since this happened immediately with the new tires, it sounds like they simply have a stiffer sidewall and/or more contact patch than your originals. Tire construction varies quite a bit, depending whether the manufacturer is aiming for better wear or better traction. The only things you can really do to compensate for stiff tires is jack up the pressure to the maximum rating on the sidewall and have the car aligned for the maximum allowable toe-out. Both of those will tend to reduce steering effort.

Curve31

That makes sense, thank you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome, happy to help.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I have the opposite problem. My new tires feel like I'm on railroad tracks. It drives, solid straight and connected to the road. Absolutely no drifting to either side, drives straight as an arrow.

I mean it drove straight before, but now it's rock solid straight even more so, which was slightly perceptible in a surprisingly good way, kinda hard to explain but I was happy. :bigthumb:

I even added a lift kit, but I'm too afraid to get an alignment and ruin the straight ride. I don't even care if my tires wear bad or wrong, the alignment just feels so good. With my luck, an alignment will make it drift away from center. Because right now the steering wheel feels like it's locked to drive straight, unless I want to turn of course. :woot:

Also make sure tires were not defective, could be a bad batch.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

From my understanding with tires and roads, its that the road crowning and the tire design are not being friendly to each other. This would cause the vehicle to pull. I am currently dealing with this same issue on my daily but never had to deal with this on my 2016 Rogue SL at all.

Return to “Rogue Forum”