steering rack shims ??? more lock???

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
R32ONP
Car: R32 Skyline GTS-T
RB20DET

howsit guys i scored some steering rack shims off a mate whos a engineer who made them on a lathe but i am pondering wether or not to put them in...

i wana know if theyl actually give me more lock

The theory behind it (as i understand) is that they in fact will not work...

ok so what they are is a shim (or spacer) which u remove the rack end and place it between the rack and rack end (efectively leghtening the steering rack length it self)....

now if u put these shims in and put it all back together its gona have some crazi a** toe so u wind the outer tie rod ends in to compensate the huge difference....but my understanding is that doing this is efectively defeating the purpose of lengthening it in the 1st place....

if anyone has proof that they actually work ill be keen to hear from u...a mate claims they work great but i wana see some proof.

i might fit them and draw a line on the ground of my full lock angle and then once theyre fitted see if it actually turns past the old mark

cheers

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

If by shims, you mean these... http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/e107_files/ ... 030255.jpg ... then yes, they DO work and they DO increase steering angle and lock.

Like you already said, they initially increase the track width of the rack. Yes you will have a change in toe after installation, but with an alignment and toe correction you'll still have an angle increase. This is possible because the spacer spaces out the bulky part of the inner tie rod that hits the rack at lock. When the wheel is turned, and the rack is moved, the spacer will tuck inside the rack allowing "X" millimeters of extra track before the inner rod hits the rack, therefore increasing angle at full lock.

ScrapnSidwayz
Car: My damn S13 is a fuggin money pithole

Yes, like Gabes13 just said, they definitely give you some more angle.

R32ONP
Car: R32 Skyline GTS-T
RB20DET

sweet thanks guys im fitting them this weekend :)

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”