Starting Problem: anyone experiencing this?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
thirty3

so i have a r33 gts25t as a weekend driver (yes, i only drive it on the weekends) and it bascially sits in the garage untouched from monday to friday.

Question: it usually takes like 4 secs for it to fire up, yes, i have to crank it for 4 secs!! does it sound normal to you? if there's a problem please let me know what i should look into.....

Any input is appreciated, thank you guys.

CursedGTR
Car: 1991 Skyline GTR

That is a little slow for me, check your spark plugs and make sure they are not fouled, also make sure you are running the right temperature for the right amount of boost. Good Rule of thumb used here is use #7's for up to 1.0 Bar, Use #8 for up to 1.5 and #9 for anything above. The higher the number the colder the spark. Anyways changing from 8's to 7's helped me out a little in the past, especially against fouling.

thirty3

CursedGTR wrote:That is a little slow for me, check your spark plugs and make sure they are not fouled, also make sure you are running the right temperature for the right amount of boost. Good Rule of thumb used here is use #7's for up to 1.0 Bar, Use #8 for up to 1.5 and #9 for anything above. The higher the number the colder the spark. Anyways changing from 8's to 7's helped me out a little in the past, especially against fouling.
thanks, will try what you suggested.

just a side note, the car is pretty much bone stock and recently i put in a new fuel pump and battery

Clatch

What type of spark plugs do R33's take, I mean can you go down to AutoZone and buy Z32 TT plugs or something and they will fit? I'm just wondering if this type of part would need to be order from Japan or not.

CursedGTR

I forgot what models are interchangeable off of the top of my head but I used Champion Sprkplugs here in Japan a few times and I am pretty sure those are American.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Im using BKR6ES-11's with no problem. They fit right it and I only had to change the gap 1mm. I bought them while I was back in the states and brought them back with me. A lot cheaper than buying them here in japan.

Thirty3...where do you live.

thirty3

C33LaurelRacer wrote:Im using BKR6ES-11's with no problem. They fit right it and I only had to change the gap 1mm. I bought them while I was back in the states and brought them back with me. A lot cheaper than buying them here in japan.

Thirty3...where do you live.
the bay area, CA.

ok so yesterday i tried this for a cold start (after 6 days untouched). i turned the key and at the same time i gave some gas, but still it took me around 4 secs to fire it up.............

Just for your information, if I turned the key to the "on" position for which all the lights on the gauge cluster lightup for 5 secs, then turned it off. and I repeated the steps for about 5 times and then started the car and the car would fire up a lot easier.......

what could be the problem?

CursedGTR

Check your fuel pump, it c[QUOTE=thirty3]the bay area, CA.

ok so yesterday i tried this for a cold start (after 6 days untouched). i turned the key and at the same time i gave some gas, but still it took me around 4 secs to fire it up.............

Just for your information, if I turned the key to the "on" position for which all the lights on the gauge cluster lightup for 5 secs, then turned it off. and I repeated the steps for about 5 times and then started the car and the car would fire up a lot easier.......

what could be the problem?

I would check the fuel pump. It could be that it is not priming properly.

thirty3

CursedGTR wrote:Check your fuel pump, it c
thirty3 wrote:
I would check the fuel pump. It could be that it is not priming properly.
already got a new fuel pump installed. it for sure helps a bit but not that much of a big improvement..........

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”