Starting problem, '75 280Z

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
AngryDriver
Car: My Z car, sleeping, and doing other teenager related activities

Hello and thanks for reading fellow Z owners. I've been having a problem with my 1975 280Z. Last friday it wouldnt start after the previous day of running and starting just fine. Yes there was gas in the tank. The distributor checks out, there is a spark. Fuel is getting to the engine, but the injectors arent operating properly. All HT and LT leads and connections check out fine. A Haynes I have sys to check the water temperature sensor, being that it co-operates with some other device. I am at my wits end and I need my transportation badly! Please anyone give advice.

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

If the engine makes no attempt to start, no sputtering or such, look at the following stuff.

The first thing to check is your battery voltage while the engine is cranking. If the voltage falls below 10 volts the FI shuts off.

Check the fusable links under the little plastic cover on the passenger side front strut tower (black, green, or brown wire loops). These are typical failure points. Available at most auto parts stores.

Verify that the fuel pump is running. Not just with the key in the run position but in the start position also.

Check you fuel pressure regulator. If it fails, you will not get enough fuel pressure to run the car.

Check the distributor rotor. They occasionally fail open.

Just a few ideas to get you going.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”