starting issues 94 240sx

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
cramsey96
Car: 1994 nissan 240sx red convertible

The car has sat for about two months due to financial situations. The engine will turn over just not fully engage. Ive had the battery and starter tested today and those are fine..I also changed the spark plugs and are still having the same problem. The car will start if it has sat for about two hours and I rev it up while turning the key. Any suggestions?

blkvrtswp
Car: 93 240SX Convertible
SR20DET FP 20G Turbo

Does it crank strongly over and over but not catch and fire up? Any difference if you use jumper cables to a running car?

Suggestion #1: Leaky injector o-rings can dump fuel in the cyls - check your oil dipstick for fuel small and change oil if found ASAP to avoid a spun bearing. Example: you turn off the engine and the residual fuel pressure leaks fuel into the cyls, making it hard to start. Once time passes the fuel press goes to zero and the fuel leaks past the rings it starts.

Suggestion #2: Check your cables: main [+] cable at starter, main [+] cable at alternator, small ground on alternator case, ground crimp on battery tray, main ground on engine intake manifold, both battery terminals. Loose wires can do all kinds of odd things - working one minute and not the next.

Suggestion #3: Something with your timing - check the distributor to make sure it is not loose and can rotate - if it is your timing is off. See if you can see in the dirt where it used to be. You can also try cranking while rotating the distributor - if it starts you are close. Also maybe the ECU temp sensor is bad and pulling too much timing to restart when hot.

Good luck, I am off to roast myself in the NY heat working on my vert.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”