Starter relay location

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
BQuick

My stepdaughter recently acquired a 2014 Versa and it has a random starting problem, turn the key and nothing. We know the starter is good, it can be jumped across the solenoid and will always spin. We’ve narrowed it down to the key module or starter relay but I can’t find the relay. Can anyone give me a little advice on locating it? Thanks in advance!

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

Well normally a faulty solenoid would not work at all not just at random times. So that is likely not the issue,however according to the FSM the starter motor relay is located in the engine room IPDM which is the black box located on the driver's side near the top of the engine bay.

There is also a troubleshooting guide in the FSM that should be helpful to solve the issue.

https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Versa/2014 ... an/STR.pdf

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

'Well normally a faulty solenoid would not work at all not just at random times.'

A battery right on the edge of being bad can do that all day long, seen it a hundred times.

A starter solenoid is technically a relay as well, making likely there are two of them in that circuit. The solenoid itself is on the starter, the lesser one likely located as posted above.

I'd loadtest the battery first and even more if it is old. The most common fail there.

'We know the starter is good...'

Not if jumping using the big cables only, that bypasses the solenoid which is generally considered part of the starter. You would have to jump the big power cable to the smaller one that activates the solenoid to know if the entire starter including solenoid is good.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”