Starter Questions Help Please...

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

Ok, I've read this same problem on a few different forums already, so it seems to be somewhat a common problem among the J30's...

Every 4-5 days average I go to crank over my car - and I get this LOUD-***-UGLY-NASTY grinding noise. Sort of like when you turn the key to "Start" when a vehicle is already running...

1) I thought that there was probably a few teeth missing from the gear on the starter. This was causing the starter to spin really fast, and grind teeth. Is this thinking correct?

2) Now obviously, there could also be some teeth missing on the flywheel, since these two parts start the car together, and are the only parts with teeth on them - correct?

3) Now, does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem? Does the starter usually break teeth MORE than the flywheel, or vice-versa? 50/50 split between the starter and flywheel losing teeth?

4) This weekend I'm doing a full timing belt job on my J30. I noticed that the FSM says "pull the starter motor out." Do they mean yank the entire starter? I mean, if it's coming out mine as well replace it - right? Is it going to be extra work, the same amount, etc...?

5) Where can I fine the BEST PRICE for the starter? Infiniti (Joe T.) has told me $250 is the cheapest even though it says different on his website (says $146) I called him on it - he says they haven't "updated" pricing or something. I found a remanufactured BOSCH for $150 - should I go with that?

Any input on price would really help me out. I'm doing work this weekend, and need to order ASAP.I just don't want to purchase a starter, and pull it apart, and have it be the flywheel - that'll be a bummer.

Sorry about the long post!!!

THANKS GUYS!!!

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Any time Ive heard that on other cars it was a weak solenoid on the starter not engaging the gear completely .. just a thought ..Not sure if the solenoid assy is replaceable on the J ..Ive done many a old skewl chevy starters

1993TanJ30

Thanks for the reply!

Would the solenoid be included when I purchase an entire starter, and it would also include the gear - right?

I just wanna make sure when I buy a starter, I'll have everything I need except if it's the flywheel.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I had this problem a few years ago. It was both the starter and flywheel. My flywheel ending up missing some teeth. My problem started sometime after I used valet parking at a hotel. I guess the valet spun the starter and flywheel ahrd during start up.

1993TanJ30

Damn, so you had to replace both the flywheel, and starter - correct?

Did you ever get stuck anywhere...? Mine always fires up after it grinds. Just sucks hearing that god-awful noise!!

Bummer

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I drove with the grinding for about a year and a half than one day it took me half an hour to start up the car.........that's when I got it changed.

1993TanJ30

Thanks for info.. Bummer!!

Just picked up the timing belt kit - $400. Now a starter - $200. And then a flywheel - damn this little bastard car is starting to get expensive, and get me pissed.

yodawill2000

Hope you dont need struts anytime soon ;O)

1993TanJ30

Why do you say that haha? Do most cars need struts around 120k? My struts seem to be working pretty well.

I installed front struts in a friend's J30 about 2-3 months ago, before I owned my car. Driving his inspired me to pick one up!

yodawill2000

I meant no humor with that ..I was just floored when I found out the cost for the front struts ..

1993TanJ30

I know part prices for the J30 are outrageous!!! Couldn't agree with you more there! If I wasn't doing all my own labor, I'd be bankrupt!!

NismoChi
Car: 94 J30

Out a new starter in and see what happen, it is going to be either one of the two that cause the problem, do you know how involve in replacing the flywheel, compare to that it will make your timing belt job a real piece of cake.

1993TanJ30

Ya well I don't really care how much work is involved or how much it costs - I just want it FIXED, and working properly.

I've torn down motors to bare blocks, dissassembled heads, rebuilt manual transmissions, etc. I'm not worried about the work involved. I have a full garage, lifts, and air tools

I just dont want to purchase a starter, and have it be the flywheel or vice versa - I hate spending money on something thats not broken!

Thanks for the heads up though!

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”