starter problems

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
suicide commando
Car: 1993 infiniti j30

ok earlier this year my j30 would grind when I try to start it every once in a great while. after a bit of time it did this more frequently. when it finally did it almost every time I started it I switched out the starter with a remanufactured one. after I replaced the starter it went back to doing it once in a great while. now its back to doing it everytime I start my car. But now the starter will keep spinning even after I let the key go back to the acc position. I have to turn the key completely off before the starter will stop spinning.

if it warms up at all outside today ill pull out the starter and check the teeth to see how warn they might be. might the problem with the grinding be the flywheel? if so I know the process for replacing that would be a very big job but how big exactly?

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

i would check the starter relay.....
but aftermarket remanufactured starters and alternators have always been a problem for the J30...I would pull the starter and get it checked out.
The flywheel is accessible after removing the transmission.

suicide commando

Ok I got the starter off and took a few pictures. The starter looks ok but I'm not too sure about the flywheel. What do you think?

suicide commando

Also how hard would it be to remove the transmission?

fourdrinie

You need to look at different parts of the flywheel, keep cranking the crankshaft by hand so you get the whole perspective... If it's only a small portion of the flywheel that's chewed up you can probably live with it a long time...
Check that the starter solenoid is correctly engaging and pushing the starter wheel out far enough consistently!

suicide commando

How do I check the solenoid? Plug it all in but don't bolt it on?

fourdrinie

You can try, you can take it into a reputable parts store or rebuilder to evaluate

suicide commando

I think autozone tests them. They will be able to know exactly if it's working properly or not? I also read on someone else's post who had the same problem that it was the neutral safety switch. Could that be my problem?

fourdrinie

I would test it at autozone, but do not expect them to have the expertise to evaluate it.

Look in your local yellow pages for a auto electric shop that rebuilds starters

I dont believe the NSS would do what you are experiencing....

suicide commando

So recently my j 30 is iffy about starting in park. I'll iether have to wiggle the shifter or just start it in neutral. Now I do know I have a neutral safety switch problem weather it has anything to do with the grinding or not.
I want to take the NSS off, take it apart, and clean it out. I know the NSS is bolted on the side of the transmission but I'm not sure how to access it. Does anyone know hot to access the neutral safety switch for removal?

fourdrinie

check out page AT-132 in FSM

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”