Starter on a 1967 Datsun 1600 Fairlady

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
111jag
Car: 1967 Datsun Fairlady

Have a few questions? I have removed the carbs and the heater hoses and was thinking it was a good time to check the starter. Is it possible for me to remove it from the top of the engine? Looks like there is enough room but I may have to remove the steering column. Otherwise I guess you have to remove the exhaust to get it out from underneath. On a scale of 10 how hard is it to remove the starter on a Roadster? Any suggestions on how this job is done would be appreciated. Couldn't find any YouTube videos on it. :gotme and haven't checked the service manual yet. I'm in the process of changing/upgrading everything in my engine.

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

If you are going to update the engine you will likely have to pull the engine and transmission as a complete assembly [recommended Datsun / Nissan method]. That's the time to tackle your starter, when it's sitting naked on the engine, on your workbench.

FYI, I have changed out the identical starter on my RL411 [same basic engine] in the much more cramped engine compartment of my RL411 sedan without removing anything more than the carb air filter housing. Yes, I had bruises and cuts all over my knuckles, but it worked!

Return to “Datsun Roadster”