Starter Kill Harness - Normally Open vs. Normally Closed

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
iamisha
Car: 1992 240sx

How do I connect the starter kill harness provided in the Viper 306V alarm in my 1992 Nissan 240SX?
  • The starter disable harness from Viper has three wires:
    viper_starter_kill_harness.PNG
    • Green/White – Starter – Common (key side)
    • Green – Starter – Normally open (motor side)
    • Green/Black – Starter – Normally closed (motor side)
  • There are two existing starter wires in the 240SX (see photo):
    starter_wires_bw_and_by.PNG
    • Black with white stripe
    • Black with yellow stripe
    • Which wire should I use?
  • The manual has two options (see snippet):
    no_vs_nc_starter_disable.PNG
    • “Normally closed starter disable” (“N/C”)
      • Green/White wire goes to starter wire heading to ignition switch.
      • Green/Black wire goes to same starter wire heading to starter.
      • That starter wire is labeled as “cut.”
        • Is this the wire that is black with a white stripe or black with a yellow stripe?
      • Plain Green wire is not used.
    • “Normally open starter disable” (“N/O”)
      • Green/White wire goes to starter wire heading to ignition switch (same as above).
      • Plain Green wire goes to same starter wire heading to starter.
      • That starter wire is labeled as “cut.”
        • Is this the wire that is black with a white stripe or black with a yellow stripe?
      • Green/Black is not used.
    • Which option is the correct one (i.e., “N/C” or “N/O”)?
[/list]

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The difference is explained at the top of the diagram. With an NO setup if the Viper fails or gets disconnected from power, the car is disabled. With an NC setup only the Viper is disabled and the car will operate normally.

iamisha

Thank you! Your explanation is clearer than the Viper manual, but, yeah, "reading is fundamental." I appreciate your patience with my apparent lack of reading comprehension.

I see you replied to my other questions too. Many thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

iamisha

I connected the starter kill harness in the "normally open" configuration.

I made these connections on the ignition side of the harness connection.

When connected to the black/yellow wire, the car will not turn over.

When connected to the black/white wire, the car turns over, but will not start.

The wiring sheet from Crutchfield "DirectWire" says the ignition wire is black/red, which corresponds to the black/white wire on the other side of the harness connection (i.e., the side closest to the engine bay or the starter).

Is it necessary to make this connection on one side of the harness connector rather than the other?

https://imgur.com/a/qyQSyqK

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I'm not sure what you mean by the "ignition side of the harness connector". For both M/T and A/T, you should be interrupting the Black/White wire coming out of the ignition switch. That goes to the Interlock Relay on an M/T or the PNP Switch on an A/T. See EL-15 here (PDF page 901):
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... _240sx.pdf

iamisha

fwiw, it's a manual.

I can get the "normally open" configuration to work, but not the "normally closed" configuration.

Normally Open: Using the black/white wire coming out of the ignition switch (which was already cut), I connected the green/white wire to the side running to the ignition switch and the green/black wire to the side running to the starter. This allows me to actually start the car.

Normally Closed: Using the black/white wire coming out of the ignition switch (which was already cut), I connected the green/white wire to the side running to the ignition switch (as for the NO configuration) and the green wire to the side running to the starter. In this case, the starter will crank the engine, but the car will not start.

My diagram to illustrate what I called the harness connector:

Wires======Black/Yellow======FEMALE CONNECTOR [ <= MALE CONNECTOR=====Black/Green=======Wires
running====Black/Red========FEMALE CONNECTOR [ <= MALE CONNECTOR=====Black/White=====running
to========Black/White=======FEMALE CONNECTOR [ <=MALE CONNECTOR=====Black/Yellow==========to
engine====Blue==============FEMALE CONNECTOR [ <=MALE CONNECTOR=====Blue============ignition
bay=======White============FEMALE CONNECTOR [ <=MALE CONNECTOR=====White/Red========switch

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I still have no idea what connector you're referring to. If it's E108 then use the B/W wire and the end toward the ignition switch should go to G/W. If it's E25 then use B/Y and the end toward the relay should connect to G/W. If it's E105 then you're in the wrong place. If it's E19:E204 then you want B/Y on the E19 side, and the end away from the connector should connect to G/W.

iamisha

Thank you so much for your patience.

In this video (starting around 12:14 to about 12:35), the guy connects the starter kill wires to the interrupted black/yellow wire. If I understand the diagram correctly, this is E19:E204.

I did the same and it doesn't even crank in the NO configuration. In particular, I connected the green/white wire to the black/yellow end away from the connector and the green to the black/yellow end near the connector.

If I change to the NC configuration (i.e., remove the green wire and replace it with the green/black wire), then it cranks and starts (as expected).

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, that looks to be the ignition switch E108 that he's into. The older ignition switches usually have a wired connector, but the colors often depend on the vendor so the SM won't list them, you have to go by the colors on the mating car connector. In the NO configuration the Viper has to be working and disarmed for the car to crank, so there's probably something wrong with your disarming circuit, configuration, or power to the Viper. The fact that it cranks in NC means the starter portion is wired correctly, since NC will let you crank if the Viper is dead or inoperative.

iamisha

Reading the installation manual more closely and thoroughly, it looks like I have to change the Viper settings. The default setting is for Normally Closed. Option 2, Item 14 is for Normally Open.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”