Start/stop button on 8th gen. Maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
GlennWhite
Car: 2020 Nissan Maxima Platinum

Are there any easy ways of getting this done on the 8th gen. Maxima?......would like to change the look a little for this button but not sure how to go about it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's nothing special about the button itself, but there's an RFID antenna wired into the housing with it for purposes of the "dead fob emergency start" function. That antenna doesn't have any smartwork, it's driven directly by an RF circuit in the BCM and the inductance probably isn't compatible with similar buttons from other OEM's. Using the WD's I think you could probably swap it for most other N/I start buttons, but not with any old button at all. To swap it with a generic button, you might try wiring in the antenna from a late model steel-key car like a '14~'20 Rogue S or '12~'19 Versa S, those are ring antennas that circle the ignition cylinder and could probably be glued behind the button hole in the console cover. If the BCM doesn't object, then you can substitute any button you like.

GlennWhite

Vstar650cl....I do appreciate your detailed answer to a question I should have worded a lot better. All I want to do is to change the little cover itself of the start/stop button. I apologize for not being clear....guess u learn amd learn, but anyway if there is a way of changing the cover I would appreciate your feedback.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There's no cover, the button is a unit.

GlennWhite

Thanks again Vstar, I just figured out this cover rest on top of the start/stop button....there's adhesive under it to adhere it to the start/stop button. I just thought something totally different and yet it takes knowledgeable folk like yourself to clear it up for people like me. I do appreciate your help and look forward to more chats.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Happy motoring!

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”