Start of my 1jz build

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
ngibson
Car: 90 s13

Got a BIG update here.

Got my new rims

Glued the door panel fabric back on

Loosening flywheel to install rear main and ARP flywheel bolts

New rear main installed and pilot bearing

The bracket for my Evo brembos was too thick, the backside of the caliper was rubbing the rotor, so I machined it down.

Tires mounted

Brakes installed

Time for 50mm over fenders

ngibson

Rolling and ready for the engine!

Transmission on

Lifted - notice my fancy shifter hole cover.

It was definitely a tight fit, hard to clear the firewall and the rad support while going down

And it started hitting the Suspension Techniques sway bar. Had to drop it down.

And she's in!

ngibson

Notice how the engine looks a little tilted? It was, and the drive shaft wasn't straight along with the shifter, after a quick adjustment it all looked good.

Before

After

Firewall clearance

Needed to make a spacer for the sway bar

I didn't take pics of the bracket after - I need to take them back out and adjust the size of the holes a little bit before the sway bar can be bolted back up perfectly.

Sway bar clearance

1991ls13
Car: s13 ls1 hatch

dude, amazing work!! i love clean work like this. nice wheels, brakes, everthing.wish i had the hook ups like you do, fork lift etc.was going to go 1jz but i got the ls1 instead. i like your doing it right and not rushing

ngibson

Thanks! Wait til you see a few other things I've got going in! I'll have another good update tomorrow.

ngibson

Got a lot done yesterday. Spent the first half of the day repolishing the valve covers and intake mani. Made a lot of little brackets to mount everything.

Group shot

Here you can see the condition of the polishing

After a little touch up on runner number one

Sanded down the valve covers before polishing, went from 120 for the bigger scratches all the way up to 1500 in about 8 stages of grit before polish

After 1500 grit paper. Started to polish it

Wiring and intake mani installed

I painted just about every bolt before installing the parts

ngibson

Ecu mounted

Bracket for the resistor pack

Installed my Koyo

$#%@#$ Fans don't clear. So I ordered pusher blade kit for them, just mount them on the other side of the rad

Boost Gauge sensor

fpr mounted

ngibson

Small update - I'm really waiting on more parts, the sway bar spacers from Tech 2 and heater hoses. The turbo and over fenders will be here on Monday.

Got my axles back from being rebuilt

Mounted fuse box - all that wiring is going to be cleaned up more after I finish the little wiring I need to do still

Bought some of these clamps to clean up all my wiring, hoses, lines

Pusher fans and 240 auto to manual conversion line, this bolts straight up into the r154 slave cylinder. I did't wanna reuse the stock hardline, this looks much cleaner

More parts

Dyed the door panels

And my downpipe:

Kalypso

dope!

Kalypso

ngibson wrote:Why do you think it looks awkward, if you don't mind me asking.
I never answered your question pardon: Its the way they're layoud out, instead of being in a straigt line, or a gride with 4 - 2 up 2 down. the triangle to me looks unbalanced

I agree that the A pillar is wack, those always suck.

doesnt matter much tho, go with what you've got

IHeartRPS13
Car: Beater 240sx 1990 Buddy Club Spec II

Very clean, some of my friends are also going to do this swap on a coupe. Post up how it handles with the heavier engine in front. I still debating whether to go 1J or SR for mine. What are your intentions autox, circuit, drag, drift?

ngibson

It's gonna be just a street / fun / drag car. The weekend warrior.

Got the sway bar figured out.

New clearance

Bumpers on

Trimmed for fmic

Paint!

Paint looked in okay shape, but it all started chipping up as soon as we started sanding away.

Adam cutting fenders

Factory wing was plugged, but check this out

Paper. Really?

Makeshift paint booth

Primer

Got a few of the base, doesn't look any different than those pics

Here's the clear

Got the turbo in!

Comp turbo 67mm. Billet intake wheel, billet shaft. Backside of intake housing is brass coated too. .70 exhaust a/r

And now for paint! There's a few runs in it, nothing big. We're going to wetsand and buff it this weekend

0range_Kouki24O
Car: s13 coupe and s14 sr20det w/2.3 stroker

your project is lookin real good man..im currently doing the same swap in my s14

Kalypso

I cant wait for you to *slam that bastard...

you should put 17x 10's in the front also... and add a xenon lip!

ngibson

Thanks! It'll slam itself nicely when I step on the gas!

1991ls13
Car: s13 ls1 hatch

dang i remember when you first stared doin this. its starting to come together.paint looks pretty good too. thinking black too....maybe dark red....maybe forest green......lol

ngibson

Black! I wanted to paint it the blue that the Civic SI comes in. I love that color. But I didn't wanna take the doors and everything off.

The project is kind of on hold for a while, still gonna work on it but not spend money on it for a while. Got some other things that are taking priority right now.

rm125RideR

NICE WORK. spray paint was a nice way to touch up all the little things plus inexpensive. wish i could build a car like yours! cool a$$ two4T

ngibson

rm125RideR wrote:NICE WORK. spray paint was a nice way to touch up all the little things plus inexpensive. wish i could build a car like yours! cool a$$ two4T
Thanks! That paint is awesome too, really durable.

UPDATE

Decided to take this project on:

Something of a wire tuck. Fuse boxes will all be mounted under the glove box. Wiring for headlights, few sensors and turn signals will be extended and hidden.

Nearly all the wires are different colors except for like 22 if I remember correctly. To avoid any problems later, I tagged the same color wires with unique numbers

Some car shots, not polished yet. Partially wetsanded, I hate sanding.

Wire up the fans individually now

Covered in heat resistant nylon wrap, hidden, connected with an Altima fan connector

HID harness

Eliminated all this wiring by cutting and soldering the HID connector to the factory plug

Last two pics

adam-gtX

amazing build! Looks F*cking awsome. But lets get to the question everyone is wondering. How much damage has this swap cost so far? From what I have seen of 1jz swaps in the past its really not that bad if you do the work yourself(which I bet saved you major$$$). Anyway, I must say this is one of the cleanest JZ swaps I have ever seen, good job!

ngibson

adam-gtX wrote:amazing build! Looks F*cking awsome. But lets get to the question everyone is wondering. How much damage has this swap cost so far? From what I have seen of 1jz swaps in the past its really not that bad if you do the work yourself(which I bet saved you major$$$). Anyway, I must say this is one of the cleanest JZ swaps I have ever seen, good job!
Hah! I have no idea, I am not going to add it up until it's up and running.

Thanks! I cannot wait to get it finished. I've come across some major hookups in parts lately, I'm highly considering building the engine with the discounts I'm getting it's stupid not to.

Kalypso

^ phuckin tough

... i lowered it for you

jrivera

Some more pics...

Speaking of wiring, we have taken on an even bigger project. We are going to do something like this. It's going to be a fun project... Thanks to UGR for the idea.

jrivera

We started the fun fun work... This set is the wiring in the engine bay. We are going to get that one done first, then pull out and work on the wiring in the dash. We started labeling wires that were the same color. We cut out about 3 feet worth of wiring, just to shorten and make it more manageable for later. We shorten the wires that are between the 2 fuse boxes. When its done, they will sit next to each other and a lot more wiring will be cut off. Again, we are doing this to have everything together, not for weight reduction.

The spaghetti

Nate, George and I working on this.

Here's how we left the wiring

Here's all the wiring we took out. About 5 lbs worth.

Here's an ISIS plenum for the 2j. We are going to cut off the plate and make it work with the 1j intake. Should be fun. It's a nice plenum. The cast is perfect.

jrivera

IHeartRPS13 wrote:Very clean, some of my friends are also going to do this swap on a coupe. Post up how it handles with the heavier engine in front. I still debating whether to go 1J or SR for mine. What are your intentions autox, circuit, drag, drift?
Honestly, if you're torn between an SR and 1j, you might as well go SR. It's just a street car, not built for anything specific.

Modified by jrivera at 10:43 PM 5/6/2009

jrivera

Well, I pulled out the dash wiring. It was labeled first and by the time I was done, it took me almost 3 hours . Took it to the condo and spent another few more hours on it. Here are the pics

Here's the wiring right when it came out the car

Here's everything I took off that was useless

Here's where I left off. There's still a lot more to do...

Tomorrow, I'm probably going to remove the rest of the wiring from the car.

jrivera

Some more wiring work today. This is the wiring staying on the dash.

Nate hardly working

Here's where we left off. Still have a lot more to do.

Kalypso

intense

cole d
Car: 93 S13 conv

Did you finish it up ? Updates, I've been on youtube and reading 1jz swap threads and I'm convinced that's what I want for my car. Any ideal where to find a r154 tranny? I want to do a 2jz but may go with a 1jz because you can get the complete swap with 154.

ngibson

Haven't been working on it at all actually. Been at training for new products at work, school has started for me again and all that good stuff. Been way too busy.

You can use a 2jz with the r154 tranny, just have to use the 1jz bellhousing I think.

The easiest way to do the swap is a Supra or a Chaser 1jz. Get the shifter extension and the universal speedo interface. If you ever blow a tranny, the universal interface lets you swap from a Chaser to a Supra r154. Supra r154's aren't that hard to find, they come from 7m's.

Return to “Hybrids”