SSonic92's Project Blue Fury Build Thread

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
SSonic92
Car: 1995 Nissan Altima almost done..
1990 240sx-swap almost ready to go in:)

After Reading through Positrons :dblthumb: , Hijackers :dblthumb: , and couple others build threads, i decided i will go on and post of the pics from mine. Just doing a stock rebuild with a few bolt ons and some added insurance also included in the build.

Ok well to start off, i got my 1990 s13 for 500 bones, a steal for the condition it was in. The pics at first might not show it to be but its a gem in hiding. Interior is mint, even for it sitting up for a year or two. Rust were the battery sits but oh well on that, gotta cut through it to run the piping. Undercarriage of the car was straight no rust or damage.
Where it was at before i got it
Hood isnt bolted to the hinges and not fully locked down thats why the gap is there.
On the way home ;)
Once i got her home, i got her all wash up and cleaned inside and out

Seats are fresh, i were told these are skyline seats, dont know how of what model though
and also i am missing two bolts that bolt them in, anybody wouldnt happen to know the size i need would that?

Ok as can be seen, its pretty clean, its primered, gonna change that tax time. Main thing that was a prob was the gas tank which had gas in it for the whole time it was sitting up which didnt do good for the tank (but i came up with a fix for that) :mike .

This is what my tank use to look like..

Example here.

Well after using a process called electrolysis, i was able to remove pretty much all of the rust from my tank for the cost of some armor hamer washing soda (not baking soda) for people that might want to use this concept. This picture gives details on the process. its normally used on motorcycle tanks so i thought why not try it but just a bigger doseage?

My setup..
See the flakes of rust floating in the water baking soda solution.
The rod i used to run the current through, use to be a old ebrake out of truck, it had groves all the way down it, after i was done using it you could barely tell that anymore.

Ok well after that process this is how my tank turned out

Ex from other person..

Ok so tank is now done and ready to go back in, question though, when i put it in the spout never lines up right. would i have to fully unbolt it from the tank run the spout in straight then bolt it to the tank? Seems after being that way for so long its not gonna move. not really a big deal was just wondering.

Since were done with issues now on to the good stuff, Parts and the heart of the beast!
First few parts i got to start off..
Meagan Racing Manifold
Meagan Racing Downpipe
xs power intercooler( got it for 40 bucks brand new so wasnt complaning about a brand)
Old Style greddy Turbo Timer( Anybody got instructions for this? I have looked on their website with no luck :frown: )
AEM UEGO (Also how far down the downpipe would be the best to tap in for the o2 bung for the gauge?)
Wiring Harness From Wiring Specialities :)

Well that mainly covers exterior parts for the motor, now for internal parts.
Clevite Main and Rod bearings
ISIS Turbo Lines
OEM Water Pump
Multilayer Exhaust Gasket
Turbo Inlet and Turbo Locking Tabs
Coil packs
Oil Pump and front cover and PCV Valve
Oil Pickup (Newer Version), OEM Thermostat, and O rings for the oil filter bracket.
Circuit Sports RAS
New Coolant Sensor ( there is the product number for anybody that might need it)
Mine snapped when unscrewing it
ARP Headstuds
Piston Rings
Cometic Head Gasket
Timing Chain Kit
And last is my gasket set from Nissan

Ok well i think this is enough for one post, my next one will have my build and pics of whats most important, the motor! Also if you could answer any of the question in between pictures, that would greatly appreciated.
Last edited by SSonic92 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSonic92

On to the actual build part now..
First about where i got it. It was actually a luck of the draw. Was at first saving up to get a full swap, from one of the usual swap websites but knowing me and how i like to surf the web, I just ended up hopping on craigslist just looking around. Well while i was on i ended up finding a post of someone selling a full swap for $700 and only a hour away from me. At first i was like there is no way that is right, so i called him up, and sure enough full swap and was legit. Well i took off that night and picked it up. A military dude on base, had no room for it so was getting rid of it, when i got there was skyPline parked in his driveway, i just nearly passed out. GTS model but still a skyline. So we rode on base and it was on the back of a truck all covered up. So loaded it up and was about to leave when realized that the valve cover was in his friends car so it wouldnt get messed up. The predicament was that his friend was at the club and nowhere near where his car was. He offered to send it but i got a idea, his friends car was s13 so i said well hey lets see if my key works for it, didnt hurt to try so we tried it. Low and behold it worked! opened right up and got it out the back seat. That was the best night ever! :biggrin:
Ok well got it back and started tearing it down so that it could be taken to the machine shop
Head
Block Disassembled and Cams
Pistons going to get clean(Reusing them, they were in good shape and because im going for a stock build right now)
Crank going to get clean and checked over

Ok so after taking everything to get cleaned and checked over, i got it all back and it was time for assembly
Head all clean and valves checked
Girdle Cams and other parts cleaned
Pistons Cleaned
Block Cleaned, Honed, and Decked
Crank all in order also

Well now it was time to get stuff back together, so started on the bottom end.
Got new bearings in and all torqued down.
Put in the new ARP's and torqued the head down
Cams Installed
Circuit Sports RAS Installed Next
This was what it was at after the RAS install ( Yea gotta love that valve cover :bigthumb: )

Next was installing the oil pump and front cover back on and the crank pulley.
Also set the timing on it before i did the oil pump too

All the hoses for the IAVC and intake side all done. (Fuel rail is already mounted just not in this pic)

Oil Pickup on, and pan getting ready to be bolted up
By that time i had water pump on also just didnt have a picture of it done.
My Turbo, Stock T25, hardly any play, spins freely

Was test fitting My manifold and Turbo

This is it all with the lines all ran. Heading over tomorrow to actually finish bolted down exhaust manifold and put on engine harness.

SSonic92

Back to my car on the engine back and intercooler piping

Prepped the bay and bagged up what i didnt want to get paint on

These pictures were of the bumper off, for reference for when i was about to put the intercooler up

Intercooler in the position i plan it to stay in

With intercooler all bolted up and piping ran
Also meant to put up my piping kit that i got, Ordered from cxracing, a good quality kit. Plan to order my radiator and fan kit from them

Next were a few pieces for the transmission that i picked up
Bushing and Gasket for the shifter and the rear seal for the transmission

For anybody heading to the parts store to get hoses for your swap also, here are the numbers for the 3 hoses u need

The most thing that i just recevied was my harness from wiring specialties and a few studs and bolts i needed. I posted this pic eariler but just for emphasis.

Last few things on the list to get this baby in now is a clutch ( i have heard about Tennessee Clutch Supply, if anybody could give some feedback on them, that would be great), Flywheel ring for my fidanza flywheel, Fuel pump, Turbo Outlet, slave cylinder, and radiator. So im hoping around the end of Dec or mid January to have this baby running. So anxious as it is so close, will also keep everyone posted on anymore updates.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

If Tennessee Clutch Supply is the company that sells Maxima clutches, and has a thread on here, I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you're wanting what everyone else runs reliably (including Enjuku), run a spec clutch. http://www.enjukuracing.com

I'm jealous of the fact your car is white by the way... I was happy finding my grey one without rust for $800. You definitely got your car for a steal.

SSonic92

PyR0NiAk wrote:If Tennessee Clutch Supply is the company that sells Maxima clutches, and has a thread on here, I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you're wanting what everyone else runs reliably (including Enjuku), run a spec clutch. http://www.enjukuracing.com

I'm jealous of the fact your car is white by the way... I was happy finding my grey one without rust for $800. You definitely got your car for a steal.
Yea I looked up some info on them and everybody that I saw that receive one from them have said they were great. So I'm thinkin of going with them, for 140 you can't beat and they rebuild them also. And I know you have a fidanza flywheel, getting your outer nuts loose on the ring , what size socket did u use? Got the inner ones off but the outer ones, the flywheel starts to flare up making a socket a pain to get in there.

And yea technically it's primer, it grey as of now but the pictures show it to be white, but tax time it's gonna get painted a shade of blue, more on the darker side. But for 500 yea it was a steal, he was mainly trying to just get it out his yard

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

I actually have an OEM flywheel and an XTD stage 4 clutch. The clutch survived 7 dragstrip launches yesterday with no problem (along with burnouts, of course). I was pretty impressed. I was expecting to kill it. When it does go, I'm going to a Spec.
As far as getting a socket on, just keep working with it. S-Chassis, in general, are pretty easy to work on, but every now and then a bolt/nut is a complete pita to get to. Just keep working with it, and I'm sure you'll get it.

SSonic92

PyR0NiAk wrote:I actually have an OEM flywheel and an XTD stage 4 clutch. The clutch survived 7 dragstrip launches yesterday with no problem (along with burnouts, of course). I was pretty impressed. I was expecting to kill it. When it does go, I'm going to a Spec.
As far as getting a socket on, just keep working with it. S-Chassis, in general, are pretty easy to work on, but every now and then a bolt/nut is a complete pita to get to. Just keep working with it, and I'm sure you'll get it.
Ok then, head over today to put harness on and finish up some other stuff, I actually have a xtd stage 3 clutch in my Altima, the flywheel on that didn't last much though, starter ate the gears off a section of it.

SSonic92

Oh and sry about the misunderstanding, that was hijacker that has a fidanza, wasn't thinkin when I typed that last post. Haha

SSonic92

Update, well today finally got the few bolts i had left to remove on the flywheel, found a socket small enough to get the rest out.
After i got the ring out, went and cleaned it up some (just the flywheel not the ring, just took a pic of it with it).

Got the few missing studs i needed and all of my exhaust manifold bolts (the small stuff nickel and dime you to death :poke: ). So tightened up the turbo to the manifold, folded down my tabs lock the nuts in place, and mounted and bolted it down. Also used anti-seize on the studs.

After that i took out my fresh wiring harness i just got from wiring specialties and was checking over all the connectors and drawing a picture in my head pretty much of where everything was planning to go.

A problem arised while i was going over the harness, reading through the instructions when i got to the step about the coil packs, i realized i dont have a coil pack sub harness :facepalm: . i didnt have coil packs when i first got the motor, so i picked up some from another member on here, so i never had one from the start. So now im in the market for one, if anybody has one their willing to sell or can point me towards one i would be very grateful. I dont want this little setback to hold me up from getting this baby started.

Morph
Car: 91 Sr Powered Coupe

SSonic92

Yea I looked at that last night, luckily found someone on The forums selling one so I'll probably get that Friday. Thanks for helping though.
Another question, was thinkin about grabbing one before I put Thr motor in, one of those aluminum steering column bushings, do they help out much or no?

PyR0NiAk

As far as your wideband, put it right before the flex pipe...

SSonic92

Ok then, I'll see about taking it to a muffle shop so they can weld a bung on

PyR0NiAk

Make sure it's aiming toward the passenger side without pointing up or down. Mine's currently angled a little downward, and scares the s*** out of me every time I go over a speed bump. If it's pointed up, you'll have to hammer your floor pan... If it's straight to the side it'll be perfect.

SSonic92

So the passenger side, now the driver side? Wouldn't it be close to the driveshaft on the right of the downpipe?

PyR0NiAk

Are you RHD? If so, yes, the driver side. screw it. Aim it toward the center of the vehicle. ;)

SSonic92

No left. Just thought it would be close to the driveshaft if Thr bung was on the right of the downpipe

SSonic92

You get what I'm saying right, if your looking at the car from behind, wouldn't you want the o2 pointing to the left of the car towards the driver door or no?

PyR0NiAk

No, You want it to the right side of it. Otherwise, you have a chance of your frame rail being in the way.

SSonic92

ok then gotcha, well once i get it in ill mark it and find the best spot.

Well another update, i know i had pictures of the outside, i took some of the inside and have a few questions also.
Fresh dash, glad for no cracks.
Back is interiored too, and pretty clean, just needs a vaccum :)
85,000 on the car, so you know its fresh and its a 89"

Now to the questions
Is this right here where it would connect with my positive wire to the battery?
Will i need these two things also now since im doing the swap?

And dont know if i mentioned in one of my early post, my key works for the ignition but not the doors, if i were to take my vin up to the dealership would they be able to cut me a key for the doors or would it be best to just have a locksmith come out and rekey them to the key for the ignition?

PyR0NiAk

Your doors should match your ignition. (Unless your doors or ignition have been changed) S13 door locks tend to be stiff and feel like the key isn't working. If adding some force doesn't help, try turning the key over. Believe it or not, even though the key will go in the ignition either way, it's not like that for the doors.

*It may also help to work the locks a few times by hand before attempting it with the key. They've most likely not been used in a long time.

SSonic92

Ok well I'll try that, but if not could I go up to the dealer to get a key cut with the vin?

PyR0NiAk

You can get a key that matches your VIN, but if your ignition key doesn't fit your doors, then that key is still only going to match either or.

SSonic92

ok then, well do u have any idea on those two plugs in the last two pictures?

SSonic92

Just wanted to get some peoples opinion on break in as my time comes closer, i feel this link here is very good info and this post right here from zilvia.com. I understand what they are saying in this post but would hitting boost on and off in varying the load be good also? Nothing crazy but in slight accel, then decel and repeating that process multiple times?

Link: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And this came from a ASE certified Tech who is on zilvia:
" +1 for NON-synthetic oil for the first time. and go easy on her for awhile (some people say 500 miles, i say at least 800-1000). then synthetic after your first oil change.

I would have to disagree with both of these statements. For one "taking it easy" is not the best way to break in a motor. The most important part of break-in is getting the rings to seat/seal against the cylinder wall. With low cylinder pressure the rings will simply glide wear the cross hatches down without the rings wearing into them. If the cross hatching wears down before the rings get a good seal, break-in stops. Another important note is to allow the engine to build up high vaccum to scavenge crankcase vapors due to high blow by. The best way to do this is to engine break for a few seconds at a time. High cylinder pressures good, high rpm not necessary.
Also you imply that your first oil change should be done after 800-1000 miles. Do you have any idea how much crap is floating around in the oil after just the initial start up?
1. Start engine and inspect for leaks while maintaning a high idle
2. Keep tabs on all vitals ie.oil pressure, coolant temp, oil temp, while the engine warms up.
3. once warm, set timing, idle,
4. shut down and change oil and filter.
5. Start up and take it out for the maiden voyage.
6. inital break-in miles should consist of 10-15 mile runs of varying rpm and load. after 4 or 5 runs of increased load perform a leak down test. This is how i determine when a motor is broken in. Once the rings seal to the point of less than 10 percent leak down you can consider them broken-in."

SSonic92

Update, Got some Parts In this morning..
My coil Pack Sub-harness
Circuit Sports 340lph Fuel Pump
Transmission Front Cover Gasket

Clutch Kit is on the way too, flywheel was put on 4 weeks back order so it wont be till around january till i get this baby running :tisk:
Oh well give me some more time to get other stuff in.

SSonic92

Update, well clutch kit came in from Tennessee Clutch and Supply, Cant wait to try it out and see how good it is. He helped me out with any questions i had and it was here in 2 days, all for $150. Very awesome in my book indeed. Also he sent a shirt and you cant beat free shirts? :chuckle:

PyR0NiAk

Did he tell you how many ft-lbs the clutch can hold?

SSonic92

PyR0NiAk wrote:Did he tell you how many ft-lbs the clutch can hold?
No he didn't but I can call and ask

SSonic92

Hey pyro, how do u feel about that break in procedure I posted ealier?

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”