SR20VE fit to a SR20DET GTIR gearbox?

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
chr1su12

Hey guys,

Does a SR20VE bolt onto a GTIR SR20DET gearbox? I have a close rato iR box and I don't want to throw it away.

Thanks guys,Chris.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

It should. You may need to use the VE flywheel, or maybe it's the GTi-R. Play with it a bit and see. The actual housing and such should mate fairly easily.

chr1su12

Can anyone confirm?

I have a OSgiken twin plate clutch for the GTI-R so I can use the flywheel and clutch from that. If not, I can just sell them off..

My main concern is if the bellhousing bolts up to the SR block, I assume it should as well being the same engine code, although i've heard GTIR run different blocks...

If normal SR20 gearboxes bolt to the GTIR I'm assuming it should be fine.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

I went and double checked this. The bellhousing will mate up. GTi-Rs use a larger clutch and flywheel, so you'll need to make sure you use those rather than the VE parts.

chr1su12

Thanks a bunch mate!

This setup should turn out good!

JeremyNissan
Car: 99 SEL SR20VE-T

nametakennow wrote:I went and double checked this. The bellhousing will mate up. GTi-Rs use a larger clutch and flywheel, so you'll need to make sure you use those rather than the VE parts.
I believe the bolts on the crank of the GTiR are different, so mounting the GTir fly could be a pain on a VE motor.

And if the input shaft on the GTiR tranny is diff than a DE/VE then that would throw the clutch out as well. You would need a custom flywheel to mate it possibly.

Let us all know what you find.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”