sr20det whining noise

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
aaronscomp
Car: s13

i recently did my sr swap, fired right up with no belts. ran great for about thirty seconds then a whining noise started coming from the crank area. i shut it off, pulled the valve cover and pan i looked and couldn't see anything. i put it back together i changed the oil and the front main seal. started right back up same noise. so now i have pulled the oil pump and inspected the gears no sign of wear what so ever. i also checked the chain and gears no sign of wear nothing or anything abnormal.

anyone have any ideas? should i try a different oil pump? iv never heard of bearing making a whining noise, but i guess that i could be wrong.

anyone else had issues with this? any help would be greatly appreciated

Sugar
Car: S13 w/ Sr

So its from the front of the motor, and I'm guessing you know its not a belt :). Without hearing it its hard to guess. Do you have a stethoscope to try and narrow down the location of the noise?

My initial thought is a bad water pump, but im pulling that out of my a**.

jwren
Car: 93 240sx hb sr20

90% of the time its the oil pickup tube gasket. also a good excuse to upgrade to the s14 sr one ;).

s14girl
Car: s14a

my guess would be thats its either the realease bearing.. press in the clutch and see if the sound gets a bit quieter, the previous owner could have had the car parked up for awhile and with it not being used the release bearing would not have wined until a day of usage, if the noise is still there then my 2nd guess would be the vvt sprocket which is located at the side of the engine facing out to the bumper. hope that helps :)

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”