SR20DET warm up problem...

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Rs4racer

oh yah i think the symptoms your having are normal if it only happens during warmup. but if your car still studders and all after warmup then check for vacume leaks the stock fuel pump works fine with the engine.

the 300zx fuel pump doesnt fit quite right but it fits and its kinda loud too. It doesnt improve performance much.

1991240xs

hurddawg wrote:it seems that the car warms up fine according to his post. With the last sentence I quoted from SRJesse, the problem is cured about 5 mins. He has no mention of other driveablity problems (hesitation, misfiring, gas mileage).

I've dealt with open thermostats before, not the SR in particular, but generally the car won't warm up at all with a thermostat stuck open.

What you saying are correct, 1991240xs, a bad thermostat will contribute to a ill-performing engine but from what i've read it doesn't seem to be the case. I was trying to point out in my last post that he is having trouble with his engine as soon as it starts in the morning (no time to warm-up). Since the engine is COLD from the get go and he is having problems, a faulty thermostat isn't the problem. I hope this helps you out...

Thanks for being one of the more civil members of the board :) and i didn't catch the part where he said it was fine once he said it warmed up...i tottally understand though-it's allll gooooood-

hurddawg
Car: anything with 4 wheels.

yah no problem :)

S13240

Ever fixed the problem?:confused:

SRJesse
Car: Cars, hockey (roller and ice)

actually no, ROFL. My engine is apart as of now, manifold and turbo due to the turbo gasket going bad from those 4 F'IN bolts coming loose again. I am guessing that could have been a part of the problem as well seeing a had a pretty bad exhaust leak. I will keep you posted once I get everything finished.

Supafly

i have a similar problem. i just got it running two days ago and it fired right off when i started it for the first time. but after driving around last night and parking i came out this morning and it just plain didn't want to start in the cold weather (~40 degrees out and colder with wind chill). after i tried to crank it about 10 times it fired and idled, and the cold start seemed to work as it idled high then dropped as the temp came up. i was just kind of confused as to why it wouldn't start this morning but it did fine last night.

everything else runs fine, the car drives/runs friggin awesome, it just doesn't want to start up cold?

GTS4-R
Car: my feet

my car randomly stutters at lights and stuff and wants to stall...I figured its from the open atmoshpere BOV but it continutes for a brief second until I rev the motor......???? could it still be from the BOV?

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Probably the BOV confusing the ECU about af ratios.

S13240

93Niss240 wrote:my car randomly stutters at lights and stuff and wants to stall...I figured its from the open atmoshpere BOV but it continutes for a brief second until I rev the motor......???? could it still be from the BOV?

If you have a cat, take it off and drive it around...if it still stutters at lights and stuff then it's something else. If it stops then your cat is the culprit. When I first got my swap done 3 yrs ago I had a cat on and my car use to do that...then I finally got tired and scared of police being behind me when my car shoots flames out of the tail pipe recently and put on a high-flow cat on...now the problem is back. Just a suggestion...

GTS4-R
Car: my feet

NO CAT......straight up test pipe

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”