sr20det smoking and sudden oil consumption

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
scott240sx
Car: 97 240sx

Well the car has been smoking for a while and I thought it was the t25 turbo. I replace the turbo(with garret's version of the s15 turbo) and its still smokes. Now it smokes all the time. It was smoking occasionally and would produce a large cloud and stop. I've been keeping an eye on the oil and its has been the same the last few weeks. I just checked it and it was very low. I pull out the spark plugs to take a look. All where black. 1,2,4 had oil on the threads. No oil on top of the plugs Looking into the chamber i could see a lot of carbon build up and the first piston has a thin layer of oil on it. I have not had the change to go buy the equipment to test for compression and leak down. Does it sound like my piston rings are shot? Oil does smell like gas and I have a strong pulse of air coming from the oil cap when it is taken off while the engine is running. I know its best not to drive it but its my only vehicle at the moment. What has some people spent on rebuilding the complete motor? I have tried looking for my exact symptoms and didn't have any luck. Fun stuff lol!

2_Liter_Turbo
Car: _________________
'96 S14 Coupe: SR20VET
'90 R32 TH1 GTR: RB26DETT
'92 S13 Fastback: SR20DET
'11 V36 Sedan: VQ25HR
'06 GMT800 2500HD: LBZ Duramax

It sounds like blown rings to me. How is your PCV system setup? Stock? I'd grab a compression tester and check that as well.

scott240sx
Car: 97 240sx

I added an oil catch can and replaced the pcv valve when I just did all the recent work to it. It sucks I just had to motor out of the car. Hopefully this weekend I can get a chance to check the compression.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”