sr20det mods

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
NeoTrixy

I'm driving a 90 180sx, with the ka. I am plaaning on dropping a sr20det in soon, but i want to start putting on performance parts right now. My first question is is it good idea to be running a straight pipe on the exhaust with a turbo motor?Next question is if i got some exhaust headers put on the ka, will they match up to be used on the sr20? My other question is about the 300zx brake conversion. Can i simply buy the 300zx rotors and brake line/pads and they bolt on to the 180sx? is there anything else i need?An my final question is about the lsd foud in the se models of the 240sx. Would it be a good idea to be running with one of these or should i spring for a good aftermarket lsd from japan (i'm on somewhat of a budget, keep in mind).

If anyone can help me with any of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and does anyone know where i can find the jdm speedo/gauges with the HUD or the retractable mirrors for the 180sx?

[thanks]Brian

Daunttless

Well, you have a 240SX S13 Hatchback. : )

The only performance parts that will transfer are an intake filter and an exhaust.

The SR20 does not use headers, it uses a manifold, headers are used for N/A cars and will not transfer between motors, much less between N/A and Turbo.

The 300ZX brake conversion would need a bit of work if you wanted to keep it on the four lug hubs, it doesn't just bolt in.

The LSD found in American models is the same as the JDM ones, you could also look into getting a Kaaz or other aftermarket unit.

Its extremely rare to find a working JDM HUD, the retractable mirrors can be had on eBay.

ChickenBoo

Like Dauntt said, the 300zx brake conversion isn't strait bolt-on. You may want to think about just doing the 5-lug conversion while you're doing the brakes. I mean, if you've already found a 300zx you may as well take those from it as well, especially if you're planning on adding hp to a SR.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

If your on a budget then dont plan on doing the SR swap, Yeah people find the engine for 2000, yeah they can get it installed for less than 1000 but in the long run it will cost over 4000 or more to get it running and tuned properly. If you didnt realize the difference between a turbo manifold and a header you better hit the books.

The brake conversions are about 600-1000 depending on the parts and how much work you do yourself.

The hud from japan is very rare unless you can find an aftermarket company selling them and even so it would be probably 500+ if you found it on ebay as im sure thats a hot seller.

The stock catalytic converter will bolt up to the downpipe from the SR, which means the exhaust will too. So if you wanna buy something now might I suggest a cat back exhaust with 3 in piping. It will hurt your performance now but be better in the long run IF you get an SR. Try http://www.sr20detperformance.com/ or http://www.srswap.com/ for the best prices around on apexi exhausts, as well as reliability.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”