sr20det issues after overheating

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
tEknoS13
Car: 93' Type X

Hey everyone km in deep ish here and need peoples input. My car recently overheated to the point where it stalled on its own. I don't know how long it ran for, but my fans weren't ON and it ran and ran and ran for god knows how long.

So, I get to my garage and see coolant in the ground and the car battery was dead. I jumped it, started it, and it ran like s***. It runs but won't go past 1800 rpms sometimes hitting 2000. It feels like a rev limiter.

I already had some horrible ticking going on the head so I bought everything for a rebuild on the top end. Now this happens. So did a compression test and got 145 150 150 155. Pretty good if you ask me. Checked the oil, no coolant in there. Also my boost gauge is maxed out all the way, but I found there is a large gash at the MAF pipe AFTER the MAF. I'm thinking that's why the boost gauge is maxed out?

Now my question. Is it possible something got damaged at the bottom end??? I don't have any metal shavings in the oil pan.

Also, is it possible my engine went on limlp/safe mode because of the hole on the pipe to the MAF and therefore not revving past 1800/2000?? Thanks anybody.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

does kinda sound like a bad MAF, you need to get your fans turn on automatically.

You need to getting your cooling system under control though. Hope you didn't warp the head.

tEknoS13

Yes I'm fixing the fan issue. I had a DIF controller but it fried somehow.

Well the head is at the machine shop since Tuesday. They called and told me the head isn't cracked but is warped by .7 thousands of an inch. Its been resurfaced before so they gotta check the tolerances for resurfacing.

Do you think the gash at the pipe after the MAF can be the problem for it not to revving past 2k?

rc1honda
Car: 1992 240 sx
2007 BMW 335xi
2008 Honda CBR1000RR

ECU could still be in limp mode. Also just fix the gash. Your losing metered air. Meaning your MAF is sending signals to your ECU for fuel and air that isn't there.

tEknoS13

thanks for the input. how long does it take for the ecu to reset out of limp mode? i disconnected the battery for about 10-15mins. Also the gash has been welded over at the machine shop. Head is on just needs to be torqued down along with fastening intake and exhaust manifold bolts/nuts and the rest of final step bs. I purchased a Power FC so I hope everything turns out ok so I can have it tuned perfectly.

tEknoS13

Ok guys I'm seriously stuck here. So I installed new head gasket and had head resurfaced, turned the car on yesterday and SAME thing!!!! The engine with not rev past 4k now. I'm guessing that's since the maf pipe was welded after getting that gash, before it would stop at 2k. It still feels like its hitting a revlimiter at 4 k and it will bog and sputter. I already swapped MAFS and ecu and same thing, replaced knock sensor, disconnected sensors.

When i disconnect the MAF, the idle won't change AT ALL. As if I hadn't unplugged it, which is weird because before all this happened it will idle weird when unplugged. Also could my coolant temp sensor gotten damaged in the overheating process?? Could the CAS be bad. Or what else could've gotten damaged in severe overheating, given that the compression results are good???

Guys I was even thinking of parting out my car, I'm so sick of this thing. I've spent over $1000 in the last month and my funds are low. Help please!!!!!!

tEknoS13

Anybody???

tEknoS13

Somebody?

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”