SR20DET Experts..Gear Oil leaking....First Problem..

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
SrSLeePeR

Well....I thought the cat was bad, I jacked up the car and looked carefully underneath and found out it was tranny oil leaking dripping onto the cat, causing the cat to create smoke from the burnt oil on it and also creating a horrible smell. Anyways, I found out it was Tranny oil were the ACTUAL transmission meets the drive shaft. I heard that there is a seal in there that stops it from leaking....I need to change it asap. Good thing I havent driven the car much or else my Tranny would of burnt out from no oil. Does ANYONE know what I'm talking about? Also, what is the actualy seal called that prevents the leak? is it easy to change? I was thinking all I had to do was lift the car up, disconnect the driveshaft...AGAIN....and just pop out the seal and replace it with a new one and connect everything together again...Does that seem correct? can anyone else give me some input on this?

Also my reverse sounds horrible. The car hasnt been running for 1 month before I bought it..and another week till I swapped it out. When I reverse, it makes a loud grinding sound, and it KINDA feels like somethig is stopping the wheels from spinning. it happens sometimes but mostly when I turn the steering wheel and reverse at the same time. I was wondering what may cause this..Maybe its from the diferential not moving or spinning for around a month...maybe not....Can anyone help?

-ThankS

-Albert

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

If its leaking from that location where the seal is bad then i think youve found your problem. Have you filled up your tranny with fluid yet? If not try that then see how the gears do.

SrSLeePeR

Yeah its the seal alright....Can I use a KA seal to replace it? how much do they usually cost? And is there an EXACT name for it? I need to get it fixed asap...Not driving an SR is no fun... :( I filled it up when I got my car back and drove it for 60 miles so far..I think i need to fill it back up cause 60 miles is a lot...its dripping ocasionally...but daym..it stinks and I'm scared imma **** up the tranny..so I know its the seal..just gotta find out if I can replace it with the KA seal and how much itll cost..Is it easy?

ThankS

SpeedRacer1

I do believe the name of the part you want is either the 'oil seal' or 'dust cover'(<<probably not this), those are the two pieces I can see stopping oil from leaving onto the propeller shaft. According to the S14 service manual it says you should apply a sealant to the oil seal lip. The sealant nissan recomends is Genuine Part#KP610-00250 or a suitable equivalent. I am not sure if the KA tranny has the same size seal but you should measure yours and talk to a nissan dealership parts dept.

Daunttless

The KA has the same sized seal. Sorry, sometimes I just browse too. : ) Go in and talk to a Nissan Service Manager, don't even waste your time with a sales rep, a lot of them don't know what a 240SX is. : ) Go straight to the parts manager and ask about part number: 32136-00100 for the KA24 transmission. It should be the Rear Oil Seal. : ) If for some reason it isn't, just have him glance around a bit, also I don't know if you used the KA dust cover, but you may want to get that part too if you didn't its number is : 32135-40F00 and 32135-97L00. That should be all you need, and I wouldn't suggest mentioning to them that you have a SR, just pretend you're doing your own work on a KA tranny ( they're the same anyways ) because you never know how big of jerks people could be as they might realize your engine is illegal. : ) Enjoy your day!

Did I miss anything?

SrSLeePeR

Thanks Daunttless...You are very helpful. Although I already got the part before you replied, I still appreciate the help. For some reason, the part number I got is 32136-U0100. I think its because I asked for an 89 240. I hope it still works though. It should right?

Anyways...Thanks for the help. Now, for another question. Is it easy to change? I dont want to get started and find out I cant put it back together without a $549659462954.00 tool....I just wanna make sure that this can be changed using typical hand tools...Thanks

Daunttless

Should be hand tool changeable, and yeah, its the same transmission. : )

Sorry about the delayed response, I unfortunately have a problem with my "new posting" thing, it always says theres a new post whether there is or isn't one actually there. So I can never tell if I've read a thread or not. : )

SrSLeePeR

What will I need to do? I'm guessing I have to jack the car up on stands...go underneath it, disconnect the driveshaft where it meets the transmission, and take out the bad seal and replace it with the new seal. Will gear oil come out of that area? Any step by step proceedures?

-ThankS

Daunttless

I don't have step by step procedures, I've never done it. : )

You should write some. : )

SpeedRacer1

I do believe that oil may come out since in the FSM they tell the mechanic to put a plug in the hole once the shaft is off.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”