Sr20det boost wont go over 5 psi, plz help

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
ulti
Car: 1990 240sx hatch, sr20det

1990 240sx hatch with sr20det swap, approx 60k miles on the motor, 175k on the body. So i just picked up my sr powered 240 on friday, when i bought the car it wasnt boosting properly but it runs great, just pulls like an N.A. car. Anyways i hooked my boost gauge when i got home to see whats going on, i do hit and hold 5 psi but the car feels gutless. i checked timing and set it to 15*.i dont know much about the car yet. it has stock sidemount IC with the recirc valve bypassed. Im new to SR20's but not turbos, please help me diagnose this I want my racecar!!!

skyline084

pull your ecu and check to see if it's throwing you codes.
Also check for leaks

ulti

There are not anyboost leaks. And I don't see any type of oil leaks anywhere. As far as pulling the Ecu do I need a code reader to check it or maybe u could point me in the direction of a how to check Ecu for codes. Thanks for your feedback. I am going to be replacing the wga soon as well to make sure its not a worn out spring

skyline084

boost leaks can be hard to find so just spray carb cleaner or something similar, than watch for bubbles.
ECU is real simple to check for codes..
Pull your ecu out, now look at the side the light is on.
There will be a hole with a tiny screw.(Philips head)
You probably have to pull a sticker off to get to it.
Now to read the codes, turn ignition ON
Next, turn screw CLOCKWISE and WAIT a few seconds, than return it back to its original position (ANTI clockwise)
When you return it back to it's original position, it will blink a certain number of times.
1st set of blinks=1st number, 2nd second of blinks equals 2nd number
(1st set of blinks are fast and the 2nd set are slow)
If i'm confusing you i'm sorry haha but watch it a few times.. the codes won't clear until you turn the key off)
Go to the nissan online mechanical section of these forums, click on the sticky link labeled TUTORIALS, and click on the link that says Codes: retrieving and reading.
It gives you a list of all the codes
(It shows you how to read the codes there too, but once again, they over complicate it)

ulti

excellent, thanks for all the help. update for you guys i just put my FMIC on tonight, and took it out for a sppin. runs much better and holds 11psi np =)
im still gonna check the ecu to make sure everything is good there too.

skyline084

nice man, yeah doesn't hurt.
Clean your maf with electrical cleaner too
works wonders

ulti

skyline084 wrote:nice man, yeah doesn't hurt.
Clean your maf with electrical cleaner too
works wonders
electrical cleaner? sounds cool where can i get it? id love to get everything running perfect.

skyline084

any auto parts store should have it .. just picked up a can of it for five bucks the other day.

ttandhondas
Car: 91 nissan sentra

I wanna get a ebay clutch, cause i found one for $200 dollars. It's stage 3 6puk but are they any good? If so would i have to get a special flywheel for it or will any performance light weight flywheel work on it? It's for my 91 sentra se-r

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”