SR20DE in a Pulsar GTI-R!? Urgent!!

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
Swede_gtir

Hi guys,

I really need your help!!

The thing is:

I have a Pulsar GTI-R (SR20DET engine with the 54C block).

Unfortunately the original engine decided to die, and I bought a rebuilt "stronger" motor from a well known company in the US....

BUT......when we checked the engine we noticed that it wasn't a 54C block

It was a SR20DE 53J block...!

The thing that made me wonder what was wrong, was that the intake manifold from the GTI-R didn't fit on the head. The flange was different.

I asked if this was a redtop as the original GTI-R motor and got the answer writter below.

The motor builder said that: "This is the same motor I have sold before for GTi-R's and have not heard of any issues. The "red top" is for rear wheel drive cars, like the US spec 240 SX... so that motor would not work for you."

Is this correct or just bs?

Please help me

Is the tranny going to bolt up? Is everything else going to bolt up? Can it work if I modify/change the flange on the GTI-R intake manifold? The exhaust manifold fits...

RegardsSG

Modified by Swede_gtir at 6:06 AM 3/26/2008

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

There are "red top" FWD engines, but generally when people say red top they mean the RWD S13 engine.

That said, everything else will bolt up. However, the GTi-R has a different flywheel than other SRs. Run a search, I know someone explained the difference recently.

Swede_gtir

nametakennow wrote:There are "red top" FWD engines, but generally when people say red top they mean the RWD S13 engine.

That said, everything else will bolt up. However, the GTi-R has a different flywheel than other SRs. Run a search, I know someone explained the difference recently.
But the intake manifold is not the same, and will not bolt up!? The oil pan is not the same either...

Could you please give me the link to the explanation of the differences between the flywheels?

Or even better!!!! Could you explain it here? Can I use the GTI-R flywheel, or do I have to buy another one?

RegardsSG

nametakennow

Right, the intake mani and oil pan are not the same. Some explanation on the oil pan can be found here.

As for the gearbox, the GTi-R uses a larger clutch and flywheel, as explained here. In your case you'll need to use a clutch/flywheel designed for any other SR (if you want to be specific, use the one that matches the 53J type SR, but it won't matter so long as it's a non-GTi-R transverse SR clutch and flywheel).

In the future the search function is the best way to get a quick answer since there may or may not be someone checking this forum who knows where to find this info.

Swede_gtir

nametakennow wrote:Right, the intake mani and oil pan are not the same. Some explanation on the oil pan can be found here.

As for the gearbox, the GTi-R uses a larger clutch and flywheel, as explained here. In your case you'll need to use a clutch/flywheel designed for any other SR (if you want to be specific, use the one that matches the 53J type SR, but it won't matter so long as it's a non-GTi-R transverse SR clutch and flywheel).

In the future the search function is the best way to get a quick answer since there may or may not be someone checking this forum who knows where to find this info.
Thank you VERY much

So....the only way it will work is if I use both clutch and flywheel from another SR-engine than the GTI-R? or can I mix parts? Is it a "bad" thing to use clutch/flywheel from another SR-engine? What does "transverse" mean?

Sorry for the stupid questions...

//SG

nametakennow

The GTi-R clutch and flywheel won't mate up to the SR you're receiving, so you have to use one designed for it. You will have no ill effects from doing so.

Transverse engines are mounted horizontally when looking at the car head on.

Swede_gtir

nametakennow wrote:The GTi-R clutch and flywheel won't mate up to the SR you're receiving, so you have to use one designed for it. You will have no ill effects from doing so.

Transverse engines are mounted horizontally when looking at the car head on.
Thanks again!!

Just to check if I've understod it...

I can use a flywheel and a clutch designed for any transverse SR20 engine, and this will bolt up with the "SR20+GTI-R-gearbox-mix" without any problems? What about the GTI-R starter? Would that bolt up with the SR20 flywheel?

//SG

nametakennow

It shouldn't matter so far as I know. The bolt patterns and such are the same, only the diameters are different.

Swede_gtir

nametakennow wrote:It shouldn't matter so far as I know. The bolt patterns and such are the same, only the diameters are different.
Sure? http://www.nissangtir.co.uk/fo...96778

//SG

nametakennow

Depending on which direction the bolts go, it may or may not matter.

I assume that since GTi-R clutch/flywheels work on non-GTi-R transmissions, it should go the other direction too.

510_freak
Car: 72 Datsun 510 & 93 Z32 n/a

hey im new to the forum but maybe one of you guys can help me out. Im planning on putting a sr20 gtir engine into my 72 510 but was wondering if i can bolt up a rwd tranny to it

nametakennow

No, RWD transmissions will not bolt up to the FWD/AWD engines. You're stuck using a Silvia engine.

Welcome to NICO!

510_freak
Car: 72 Datsun 510 & 93 Z32 n/a

so is the bell housing bolt pattern the only thing that keeps them from bolting up

nametakennow

The exteriors of the blocks are different, so mounts and such don't match up either.

Swede_gtir

I had to modify the block and the oil pan to have the motor and gearbox bolt up... The 53J oil pan is much bigger than the GTI-R oil pan, and the oil pan from the 54C does not bolt up on the 53J block

Does anyone have pictures of a SR20DE FWD (long block) with all of the parts (oil filter adapter, power steering pump etc..) still attached to it? That would help me ALOT!

//SG

Nismo77
Car: 72 S30

Hi there..How come you didn't just buy a 54c IR motor for a replacement or rebuild the blown motor? a stock 54c is much stronger than a 53j engine unless it has after market internals...Seems like your doing more work than needs to be done.

Also this answer you got " "This is the same motor I have sold before for GTi-R's and have not heard of any issues. The "red top" is for rear wheel drive cars, like the US spec 240 SX... so that motor would not work for you." He doesn't seem to know about the bluebird motor aka Red Top 4wd engines which is a very common swap here in the states in the Sentra b13-15.

Swede_gtir

Nismo77 wrote:Hi there..How come you didn't just buy a 54c IR motor for a replacement or rebuild the blown motor? a stock 54c is much stronger than a 53j engine unless it has after market internals...Seems like your doing more work than needs to be done.

Also this answer you got " "This is the same motor I have sold before for GTi-R's and have not heard of any issues. The "red top" is for rear wheel drive cars, like the US spec 240 SX... so that motor would not work for you." He doesn't seem to know about the bluebird motor aka Red Top 4wd engines which is a very common swap here in the states in the Sentra b13-15.
Unfortunately the blown motor (54C) isn't that common here in sweden.. Otherwise I would have bought a block right away. The reason I dont rebuild my original motor is because it has "cracks" in block and head... This 53J motor is totally rebuilt with after market internals and ported head etc..

I know.. He doesn't seem to know sh*t about the SR's.

Nismo77
Car: 72 S30

wow thats a bummer...we have gtir motors over here all the time..its a shame this guy you bought your engine from didn't send you the 54c long block like he was suppose to in the beginning...you would have been done already...Anyhow Good luck with it and if you don't already know check out sr20form.com for more info if you need it...

Swede_gtir

Nismo77 wrote:wow thats a bummer...we have gtir motors over here all the time..its a shame this guy you bought your engine from didn't send you the 54c long block like he was suppose to in the beginning...you would have been done already...Anyhow Good luck with it and if you don't already know check out sr20form.com for more info if you need it...
Thanks.

He said something like "there are no GTI-R motors in the country" and exactly this: "This is the same motor I have sold before for GTi-R's and have not heard of any issues"

The company is not going to help me to solve this problem, but they say I have usd 500 in credit, that I can use to buy what I want...

If someone have pictures of a SR20DE FWD (long block) with all of the parts (oil filter adapter, power steering pump etc..) still attached to it, I would be really happy, and it would help me alot!

710fastback
Car: 74 datsun 710

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.co...bpjf3 i would sell that built de and source this 54c . i would go with forged internals this trip. the 54c is a STRONG motor you're good for 500+ without porting and stroking. good luck mate

Swede_gtir

Just an update..

There is no problem using the 53J-block! We just had to modify the block and oil sump a bit because the lower part was wider than the 54C-block.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”