SR20 Tuning!!!

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
TonKpilS14
Car: S14 Silvia

hey, i have a s14 with a blacktop sr20det and it's running extremely rich. I can't even redline if i wanted too. It will bog out around 5 grand. Im in LA county and if u know of anyone that does tuning around there help me out PLEASE!!!

THANKS FOR ANY HELP GUYS!

Yangs S14
Car: R.I.P 1995 240sx and now a s13 1989 hatchh

i like how you post it everywhere..lol like i said in the other thread i would help if knew more about turbos...but my friends sti bogged after 3-4k? cause of the BOV being installed wrong...

nissanman04
Car: '90 240SX, '95 Subaru Legacy

what kind of engine management are you running? mods? we need a little more detail if you want some good suggestions. the SR forum might give you some better responses as well.

TonKpilS14

well im just asking for somewhere that i can get it done at. i dont wanna do tuning myself. im a driver not a technician! haha

SR20DET BLACKTOP modz:* Greddy Front Mount* Blitz BOV* APEXI Intake* Blitz 550cc Fuel Injectors* CP Pistons* Eagle Rods and Bearings ext.* Greddy T51 turbo @ 12psi

thats the basics i guess.

Yangs S14
Car: R.I.P 1995 240sx and now a s13 1989 hatchh

hmmm...i dont know any shops in the la county...theres more shops in the oc that i know than la county..

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

I SEE THE PROBLEM! INSTEAD OF MODS IT HAS "MODZ" IN THE ENGINE!

seriously, please follow the proper protocols when posting. this should be in the rwd sr20det section and nowhere else.

TonKpilS14

sry sir please dont hurt me. should i repost in there now?

da40
Car: 1995 SE 240sx

TonKpilS14 wrote:well im just asking for somewhere that i can get it done at. i dont wanna do tuning myself. im a driver not a technician! haha

SR20DET BLACKTOP modz:* Greddy Front Mount* Blitz BOV* APEXI Intake* Blitz 550cc Fuel Injectors* CP Pistons* Eagle Rods and Bearings ext.* Greddy T51 turbo @ 12psi

thats the basics i guess.
man ur running 550cc injes without any fuel managment!!!??Get yourself a safc or power fc and get to work!With the safc u can fix ur running rich problem easily do some research on it its not very hard but as far as tuning you might have to find someone witha dyno and a wideband for that good luck

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

i can move it there for you. i would get a few opinions to work with and then figure out which is the most probable and work at it from that angle.

hopefully the guys in sr20 should be able to help you more with the specifics.

good luck!

TonKpilS14

i have an AFC controler and a fuel regulator.

fregisr
Car: 240sx 1990

so did you make any adjustments at all for your fuel in the safc. If not, then there is your reason why you running rich

shadowracing
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx

in LA county you could take it to marcos vargas hes in gardena thats the nearest shop in La your gona have to travel down to orange county.

TonKpilS14

are u talking about machine tuner?

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

the SAFC needs to be set to -42 or -48 all the way across the board on High and Low RPM maps. Those 550s are dump a lot more fuel than the factory 370cc injectors thats why your running so rich.

Who did you buy this from or who did your install? Cause you need to learn what your doing before you jump into something like this.

TonKpilS14

i bought it from private seller. and i built the motor like a month after i got it. i tuned my throttle curve 2day. Aerodyne Industries said that my stock ecu is still seeing my injectors as stock . They also said that my car is running rich on the bottem and lean on the top because of it. And that if i get their apexi boost controller they can tune it properly.

let me know what u guys think about that. I dont want to go and spend $500 on some BS.

Blown240sx

you dont need a boost controller you need a piggy back or stand alone fuel managment system to allow the ecu to properlly use those injectorys.

TonKpilS14

what the hell is a piggy back system?

C - ROD
Car: SR20DET pignose hatch

u could do a rom tune form like Jim Wolf or HybridDynamics for the cheap way out, but that isnt as good as a full standalon system. I recomend the AEM EMS with the wideband UEGO controller, then u can convert your motor to speed density which uses a MAP sensor & an IAT to measure your fresh air intake instead of a crappy mass air flowthose are my plans after i get frinished with my full rebuildthe EMS cost a lot but its well worth it

Blown240sx

Piggy back meaning uses the factory ecu and is wired into the harness before the ECU. It receives the info first changes it then sends it to the ecu. Examples are GReddy Emanage and SAFC 1 or 2.

Full stand alones replace the ECU completely. Power FC is direct plug and play. EMS has to be wired up. Draw back to the Power FC is limited user interface and exspensive add ons like MAP and Boost control.

Rom Tune is where the factory ECU is chipped. Usually recommend a piggy back with this system to fine tune the car.

TonKpilS14

C - ROD wrote:u could do a rom tune form like Jim Wolf or HybridDynamics for the cheap way out, but that isnt as good as a full standalon system. I recomend the AEM EMS with the wideband UEGO controller, then u can convert your motor to speed density which uses a MAP sensor & an IAT to measure your fresh air intake instead of a crappy mass air flowthose are my plans after i get frinished with my full rebuildthe EMS cost a lot but its well worth it
ya id like to go with all thoughs goodies and do it the best and safest way but im not rich like u

if i go with a ROM tune will that fix my problem? eventually i plan on boosting maybe 20+ psi then put the car on a dyno. But i can't afford all of this right now because of school. But once i graduate then i will have double the hours to pay for all of this.

C - ROD

im not Rich either, i just have a good job & i save my moneyif u plan on running 20+ pounds of boost then it would be smart to save ur money for a full standalone, & the AEM EMS does not have to be wired in, they changed it, now u just plug ur stock harness into the EMS unit & they now come with a few base FUEL & TIMING maps pre programed into it so u can drive around a little bit until u get to a tuning shop

luv2spedup
Car: 89 silvia

how much does an ems cost any ways

C - ROD

its about $1700 before the IAT & MAP sensors, & about $1900 with those sensors to convert to speed density

spider_slayer
Car: s14 240sx, s13 240sx

TonKpilS14 wrote: They also said that my car is running rich on the bottem and lean on the top because of it. And that if i get their apexi boost controller they can tune it properly.
el oh el.

the power fc is about as much as a rom tune with a piggyback. jsut depends on which way you want to go. if you plan on upgrading to a different turbo later i'd go with the fc.

TonKpilS14

im not changing the turbo anytime soon. so u guys think i need a boost controller?

im hearing all different opinions.

Return to “Engine Tuning”