sr20 (not det) motor legal in the US?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
jkeyser14

The 200sx se-r I read somewhere had a sr20 engine in it. Does the US 200sx have the sr20 in it too? If so, even though it is a front wheel drive set up, an sr20 engine would therefore be legal in the US, and you could put a turbo on it. That way it would pass visual inspection (if you took off the turbo).

Can anyone verify this for me?

If so, I'd rather spend a little extra money on getting an sr20 engine for a 240, and put a turbo on it since the KA engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced anyway. This would keep things legal.

SWIFT_DRIFT

jkeyser14 wrote:The 200sx se-r I read somewhere had a sr20 engine in it. Does the US 200sx have the sr20 in it too? If so, even though it is a front wheel drive set up, an sr20 engine would therefore be legal in the US, and you could put a turbo on it. That way it would pass visual inspection (if you took off the turbo).

Can anyone verify this for me?

If so, I'd rather spend a little extra money on getting an sr20 engine for a 240, and put a turbo on it since the KA engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced anyway. This would keep things legal.

the 200sx ser has the SR20DE engine, however it is FWD so it will not work on the 240, this would be a stupid transplant anyways as the power possibilities of the KA are greater in the first place. This is the oddest idea ive heard in a while here, but turbocharging a usdm sr is nothing like the real sr20det. you cant even use the DE engine because its fwd, so that is out of the picture. If you are just looking to go turbo you have 2 options, get an sr20det, or turbo the KA. being as the KA is N/A anyways, ur gonna have to rework some of it to make it turbo worthy, so you might as well rebuild it to suit a turbo while you are at it.

All in all, i would recommend a bit more research on your part before you ask some more questions :)

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

You could do the CA18DET too which is a little less pricey than the SR20DET. If you really want that SR20DE(RWD as seen below) your gonna have to import it from Japan or another country that recieved it and since it isnt on the EPA's list of engines that were released in this country it would be illegal.

bwalker240

Actually, it has been thought of before - especially if you take into account that JWT has a CARB-certified turbo kit for it. I've talked to Jim about it myself when we were discussing options.

I guess people don't want to attempt it. The conept is certainly sound.

Daunttless

its a transversely mounted engine, the concept isn't sound because you'd have to make the 240 FWD.

jkeyser14

If you import a japanese rwd sr20de would it be illegal? Thats what I was wondering, since the engine is legal in its fwd configuration? It probably wouldn't be too hard to get an sr20de imported, and that way I could put a bigger turbo on it from the start, and the internals would already be ready for a turbo, unlike a ka.

Koua Jones

This question is more for the shops. How hard is it to send an engine/front clip over from Japan? What happens between the shipping to me putting it in a car? I'm talking customs, duty costs, etc.

jkeyser14

You're not understanding the question. Getting the engine imported is easy. What I want to know is if a rwd japanese version of the sr20 would be street legal, since there is a fwd version of the engine already in the US. Thats all i am wondering about. It has nothing to do with shops. Speedracer1 answered my question, but are you a 100% sure on that?

Koua Jones

I'm sorry that was a question.

Daunttless

you're not understanding what we're saying. a JDM SR20DE is just as illegal as a SR20DET. It will also cost the same amount of money to get it here as the SR20DET. It also is a N/A Motor, it is NOT ready for a turbo. Its not a SR20DET without a Turbo on it, its a different configuration.

bwalker240

What if one had custom mounts made? Seems possible to me (and conceptually sound - Jim Wolf seemed to think it was possible also).

Daunttless

are you talking about the FWD SR20DE?? If you are, its transversely mounted FWD. What would be the point of making the 240SX into a transversely mounted FWD car, you may was well buy a 200SX or a Sentra.

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

The SR20DE is missing some componants that would make it an ideal turboed engine. Just because 2 SR20DET's have the same engine code doesnt make them the same, an S15 has different bits and pieces from an S13 redtop. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...84365

(repost)SR20DE vs. SR20DET (Remember 'T' is for Turbo)

Here are the differences between the DET and the DE:

The DET has oil squirter piston coolers The DET has a bigger oil pump. The DET has a different front pulley. The DET has lower compression pistons (8.3:1 vs 9.5:1). The DET has bigger injectors. The DET has direct ignition. The DET has a variable intake cam, runs retarded at idle, advanced mid range and retarded top end. The DET has mechanical shim in bucket type lifters with a slightly bigger in duration exhaust cam.

By the time you added all these pieces (if you could) to your DE it the costs would be high for nothing special. There is absolutely NO way to reasonably put the FWD SR20DE onto the 240SX and keep it a RWD or FWD for that matter.

ItzGenX
Car: Smoke Purple 95' S14.5. Powered by the "Iron Man".

Yo Speed Racer, would you happen to know if the SR20DE pistons fit into the SR20DET without the valves slapping? If you want to know why I want to do this is because I have been reading up on laws of the modern four-stroke engine. MAN THEY MAKE A LOT OF SENSE.

So do you know if they would fit? If so, I am going to get some performance pistons from a SR20DE and put them into a DET.

SR180SX

correct me if i am wrong, swap an older engine into newer car is illegal in US so it dosen't matter if JDM or not... by the way why so interest about SR20DE motor? I think about same price getting SR20DE you probably can make the KA engine to close about 180 at wheel by internal upgrade...

SR180SX

Daunttless wrote:It also is a N/A Motor, it is NOT ready for a turbo. Its not a SR20DET without a Turbo on it, its a different configuration.

I agree, I believe SR20DE is 9.5:1 compression ration compare 8.3:1 to SR20DET

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”