SR / 510 Conversion Kit??

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
cardinal

Ok, sort of a newbie (to the 510 I will admit) but very farmiliar with the SR - But does anyone out there know first hand of a well put together kit for this swap - or is this going to be all fabricated as I go? Things like the cross member, rack and pinion conversion, trans mount etc.

If anyone has any input or parts to sell for this project please let me know!

Also intersted in the susupension mods from the 280Z. When I searched it seems that some say you can swap the rear suspension as a "bolt on" where others say it is not fesable. Again, anyone with first hand experience please let me know.

Thanks!!

nb07bcar

I don't have an sr but a ka-t and there about the same. they don't make a complete kit as far as I know. Piece it together. Crossmeber has to be reversed. Rack and pinion will be a custom job. They do sell tranny mounts for the 510, but just make your own. SO much cheaper. I used an chevy ruber mount and made a mounting plate for my datsun. thats about all you need to put an Sr in.Drive line cut down. Also a radiator. Just by a griffen or soraco and make mounts for it. I don't know about the 280 suspention, just use the datsun. They have all sorts of parts for the datsun 510 in suspention.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the 280zx suspension (79-83) is a bolt on to the IRS 510's I'm not very familiar with the dimes but I know there were solid axle versions available towards the end of production that would not accept the Z donor parts, as for the front cross member there was a guy selling modified crossmembers on an exchange basis, might want to hit up google and dig for a few pages

GaudSpeed

Bazz @ Datsport.com in Australia makes a complete Datsun 510/SR20DET conversion kit and Kevin @ KBeam sells them. I just bought a kit and it's pretty well put together.

http://kbeam.com/DATSPORT%20PRODUCTS%20PAGE.htm

Here's a great web site for the converison.

http://speedyzx.com/Project510/Dime.html

Good luck,

Vince

cardinal

Thanks guys!! I was starting to think no one visit thse boards much anymore.

Like I said, I am a newbie to the 510. I have built a two 240s with SRs. Seems like it you can get the chasis beefed up on these and get it to turn - you would have one hell of a quick car.

So do most guys end up swaping in the Z suspension and try to get rid of the solid rear axle to aid in the handling aspect?

GaudSpeed

Most guys throw in a Subaru LSD and call it a day.

Go to: http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/

read the Drivetrain and Suspension section and you'll have your answer.

Mig
Car: 1978 280Z, 1979 810 2dr, 1964 L320 Pickup, 2006 Chevrolet HHR 2LT

cardinal wrote:Thanks guys!! I was starting to think no one visit thse boards much anymore.

Like I said, I am a newbie to the 510. I have built a two 240s with SRs. Seems like it you can get the chasis beefed up on these and get it to turn - you would have one hell of a quick car.

So do most guys end up swaping in the Z suspension and try to get rid of the solid rear axle to aid in the handling aspect?
I thought that the only ones with a solid rear axle were the station wagons.

datsunboy
Car: Datsuns

yeah....NO 510 sedans came with solid axle!only the wagons.

I have tried using 910 bluebird rear arms in my 510 once before, they bolted up fine and everything, but it looked as tho I was gonna have to do something to it to get rid of the Toe-in it made.

is the 280ZX rear suspension the same?ie....If you bolt in 280ZX rear A-arms into the rear subframe of a 510, will the alignment be ok?......or will it need serious work to correct it like the 910 bluebird arms?

Julian

datsunboy wrote:yeah....NO 510 sedans came with solid axle!only the wagons.

....If you bolt in 280ZX rear A-arms into the rear subframe of a 510, will the alignment be ok?......or will it need serious work to correct it like the 910 bluebird arms?
Some Datsun 510 sedans did come with a solid rear axle. They're most often seen running around Mexico. There are also 510s with bench front seats. Also 510s with four-wheel drum brakes.

As to the ZX rear arms - if you have a sedan, what problem are you hoping to overcome using the ZX stuff? You'll have to have a slotted rear crossmember to deal with the alignment issues, and then new wheels as the track will be increased.

Turbo 510

The solid rear axle/leaf spring models were from Mexico.Having done the ZX rear trailing arm conversion, there is no performance advantage to gain. They do come with disc brakes and bigger wheel scallops to fit larger tires under the rear but also require extensive modifications to the crossmember and mounting ears to make them fit. If you are using anything other than an R160 rear end you will also have to shorten the half shafts in order to be able to properly adjust the toe. The only real reason to do it is to fit the 16" 300ZX wheels on your car and since it's already been done countless times, its not really that cool anymore.

compression

68-73 datsun 510 sedans were all independent rear suspension. Wagons have solid axles. There are solid axle 510 sedans, but they are usually found in mexico/europe.

To the original poster person,you dont need to convert to rack and pinion steering for an SR or KA. What you do instead is install a reversed steering center link from Datsport and then you get a top-mount turbo mainfold. Rack and pinion is not an easy conversion, Avoid if you can!

There are a number of issues you need to address:-front crossmember interference with the SR oil pan-Front swaybar clearance with the SR oil pan-center steering link clearance with SR transmission bellhousing-upgraded radiator/fan setup-electric walbro fuel pump & 5/16 or 3/8 fuel line need to be installed-top-mount turbo exhaust manifold, which also needs new oil lines made.-enlarge shifter hole in trans tunnel-custom motor mounts on front crossmember-custom transmission mount-intercooler location and air plumbing(there is a huge shortage of space in the nose of 510 compared to a 240sx)-shorten 510 driveshaft-integrate the SR wiring harness with the 510 wiring-custom exhaust system (which means enlarging the through-hole in the rear crossmember)-Install a subaru LSD-UPGRADE THE BRAKES AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT

Once all that is addressed, then you will be close...or completely tired of the project and trying to sell it on ebay.Good luck!!

My SR/510 conversion:

datsunboy

does anyone have a picture of these solid axle 510 sedans from mexico?its strange that I have never heard of them before!

and you dont need custom engine mounts for the SR....just use the S13 mounts, and add a 10mm spacer to one side.....and it bolts in.....no custom work required ( as far as engine mounts go )

datsunboy

ok.....did a quick search on google....and the only thing that came up was this website for a parts store.....

read the bits in bold....what the #$*!???...simply raising what boost pressure??? they didnt ever come turbo factory!

They also only list parts for the 78-81 Nissan 510.are you sure that this is not the model you guys are talking of?not the TRUE 68-72 Datsun 510???

Nissan 510 Parts

Datsun 510 as known in the United States was also called as 1600 in Australia being available only as a four door car. In Japan though, this four door was called the Bluebird and the two door version of it is known as the Bluebird Coupe. The Bluebird Coupe has different roofline and has a more aggressive angled C pillar. Sadly, there were only a few of these 510 coupes imported in the US which caused owners to have difficulty repairing it since it has a different deck lid, rear glass and interior. In the States, the common 510 sold were the four door wagon. This shared the solid axle rear end of the 510 sedan which was sold in Mexico. It was standard on the 510 to have a McPherson struts with front disc brakes, a 4 speed gearbox, and independent trailing arm rear suspension. By simply raising boost pressure from the stock 7 psi to 1 bar, it will give you nearly 300 hp. Another great aspect of the 510 is its uni-body construction. It can also be said that the 510 design somehow has some Italian side in it for it still has some characteristics that Nissan once used in its model designed in Italy which was the 410. One good example of this is the 510痴 headlights. Sad to say, like all the other old models of Nissan, the 510 didn稚 last long in its automotive lineup.

Turbo 510

No version of the 510 that I am aware of ever came turbocharged. Back in those days, turbocharging was somewhat of a black art and considered somewhat exotic for those vehicles that did have it.I have seen one stock live axle 510 with a front bench seat. It was at Shasta a couple of years ago. I have a 4 link live axle conversion in my '73 but that is totally different than the Mexican version.As for the SR conversion above, most of the obstacles are easily overcome with alittle thought and fab talent. The motor mounts are really easy to make and you don't have to use some sort of spacer. Go for it.

TwoDoorDime
Car: 70 datsun 510 LOts of mods

datsport makes the best kit avail right now if you have 1200...its like a whole new fron suspension...well not like one it IS one.....and ive heard these rumors of solid axle 510 sedans from mexico but i have yet to see one so it will stay a rumor haha...also another thing for sr swap needed is custom turbo mani cause it his the steering box on the LHD models you RHD guys dont have to worry bout it

sr20dat510

mckinney motorsports has a a kit for $450 and they will do the mods to the front and give you a new crossmember for the trans

Wiring Specialties
Vendor

For anybody reading this in the future, I just want to say that Wiring Specialties now offer a line of pre-made wiring harensses for Datsun swaps. We can wire SR's, RB's and CA's into just about any Datsun platform.

You can check some of our current harnesses out here: http://wiringspecialties.com/da51stap.html

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”