squirrely handling

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
jeepinjk
Car: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Lifted
Hopefully "2007 Versa 4dr hatch*

OK guys, I need some help with my 07 hatch. I am about at my wits end and seriously considering trading this car. Now I am a fairly good shade tree mechanic, but I can't figure this car out anymore. Lets start with the diagnoses:

The cars handling is really dodgy. When I got the car in 09, it handled like a dream. It was also firm and planted. However as of late the handling is all over the place.

What the car does:
When on the gas, it drives straight for the most part. A little bit of wandering. When you let off of the gas, it pulls hard to the right. This is the problem it is having. Now I have newer tires, that have been rotated and properly inflated. I have replaced just about everything upfront, Control arms, sway bar end links, all new brakes (pads and rotors upfront, new drums in rear). I have had it aligned. When you step on the brakes the car is even and straight. If I lock them up I get 4 equal tire marks (my car doesn't have ABS). The tie rods are tight with no wiggle in them and the unit bearings are good as well. I have also done the standard shock test of pushing the car down, it comes up and then settles right at drive height. Now the shocks are still factory, there is no sign of leakage and the rubber mount appears to be in good condition. Could shocks really be causing all these handling issues?

jeepinjk
Car: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Lifted
Hopefully "2007 Versa 4dr hatch*

Oh and the car is a 07 Versa hatch S,no TC, no ABS, 4spd auto, and has about 132k on it.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

What you described is very typical of bad shocks/struts. If you replace the shocks/struts the problem will be resolved. :yesnod

Return to “Versa General Chat”