squeeling won't stop

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
pae9132
Car: Modified 03 V35

Well I've done a search but I haven't found the answer to my problem. I have UR aftermarket pulleys but since the last time I changed my belts I have a squeal that lasts for 1-2 minutes and it's VERY loud and annoying. I had the belts checked and tightened which fixed the problem for a couple of days but it started all over again a while ago. I was told it could be my power steering fluid so I did the DIY method of sucking it out and refilling a few different times. Still have a bad squeal. Should I try a different brand of belts? I think I'm using Gates currently. Willing to try just about anything. Thank You! Oh yeah...the belts did not squeal with the UR pulleys before changing them to these new belts a couple months ago.

goody90q45
Car: 1992 Q45 (sold)

Could it be a pulley bearing making the noise? Tightening the belt to quiet a squeak is probably only a temporary fix as you've found out. You should probably loosen or remove the belts and rotate all the pulleys by hand to make sure they're still spinning freely and quietly.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

^ :werd:

UD pulleys accelerate wear on bearings like the tensioner pulley, which is right near the crank, so the vibrations do not have far to go, that and the altered contact angle can stress the bearings too. One of the most common causes of squeeling noises I see on UD pulleys is incorrect belt size followed by over tightening.

UD pulleys suck on the vq.

pae9132
Car: Modified 03 V35

I will have that checked out because I've had them for a long time without issues and the recommended sizes were too loose. Thanks!

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”